Quantcast

Put in an offer on our first house!!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
We've been house-hunting for a while now and found the perfect place for us today.

3bed/2.5 bath 2000sqft, garage, den,1/2 bath and playroom downstairs(basement). upstairs has kitchen, 3 bed/2bath, large living room. 1 acre semi-wooded lot that backs up to the power company easment with jeep/powerline trails in sight (possible dj location :D )

also has a hot tub w/ deck and a cool ,lighted,brick BBQ pit with picnic table.

as soon as we saw it we knew it was perfect......i just hope i'm not getting all excited for nothing and the sellers accept my offer (about $6k less than asking price plus asked seller to pay $3k of closing)

it's been on the market for 70 days so i'm hoping they'll go for it.

all for a whopping $118,500 :D :D i love this state :thumb: :love: (that's about all i can afford w/ 3 kids on a cops salary ;) )

front of house

part of back yard

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I hope you get that! That thing is cheap compared to here! In places of Southern CA, that could go for 1million.

You absolutely have to build jumps/stunts in the backyard if you get. I will have to dissapprove if you don't build jumps.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Man, that's sweet dude! I wish housing didn't suck here, but those damn Californians ruined it for everyone. (I moved here before it was cool, so I don't count ;) )

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Wow. That would probably go for close to a mill where I live. Nice! Maybe I should move to the South.

R3SP3CT T3H C0NF3D3R4CY!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
manimal said:
all for a whopping $118,500
WOW - good luck!

$118,500...

Holy sh1t.

That will get you half of a mobile home here.

Don't let Brian see this.
:nonono:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Sounds like a great deal!

:thumb:

There are plenty of houses like the one you have listed there here in my area for the same price range as well. Nice older homes can be had from the mid $80k range to the $140k's. The biggest factor is school district here.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
N8 said:
Sounds like a great deal!

:thumb:

There are plenty of houses like the one you have listed there here in my area for the same price range as well. Nice older homes can be had from the mid $80k range to the $140k's. The biggest factor is school district here.
He must be down south ... I think that is probably the only area left with houses that low...you would be lucky to find a nice building lot around here for that much..

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
does it need any work? it looks in great shape.

congratulations! it's such a big deal....
you couldn't even think of getting anything for that price out here, not that i don't love my home and living in tahoe...
yesterday was the 1 year anniversary of closing on our first home.

DRB said:
The only advice I have is listen to your realitor. Both times ours <guided> us into some really good decisions.
I agree, but only to a certain extent. Realtors are a great help in navigating the waters for a first time homebuyer, but in general they are concerned with only one thing - closing. They have little or no liability after the deal is done, and as a result, may gloss over potential problems with the property to achieve that end. Remember, you are not buying a house, you are buying land with a house on it.

If your offer is accepted, it is important to get a survey or ensure that your title insurance policy does not except survey matters from coverage.

Another thing to consider is who owns that field behind the property you're considering? Although it's nice now, would you have a problem if next year it turns into high density townhomes? A Target loading dock? A six lane highway? I only say this because that price sounds super cheap, even for the Triad.

Protect yourself is all I'm saying.

gastro
(land surveyor by day)

edit: I just ran into Mrs. Manimal and the rest of the kids and after 'lil manimal introduced us, she mentioned where this property is - let's just say the location is a HUGE plus! :thumb:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
ok, update.

they countered our offer with the full asking price and only $1500 of closing so we re-countered a little bit higher with us paying closing. still waiting to hear back from them..............

i REALLY hope this goes through.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
manimal said:
ok, update.

they countered our offer with the full asking price and only $1500 of closing so we re-countered a little bit higher with us paying closing. still waiting to hear back from them..............

Good luck, buying a house is exciting and nerve racking all rolled up into one.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Brian HCM#1 said:
Good luck, buying a house is exciting and nerve racking all rolled up into one.
indeed. we bought our first house this week. the market is silly here right now. a scenario a couple weeks ago: first open house on sunday (beautiful place. evidently lots of other people thought so as well); offers on monday aft (we had to scramble monday morning to arrange inspection); there were 7 other competing offers presented; winning bid was 126k over list (we were 15k shy of winning). that sucked. seems to be a not uncommon tactic to list under value to generate a bidding frenzy. the listing realtor was a leech.

re: the place we just bought - we offered 35k over list (this one was more appropriately priced), and were the high bidder, but the owner refused the number, saying he really wanted more, and would take no less than 50k over what he had listed for. fokker! we reluctantly capitulated... after a couple months of looking & many open houses, we're just stoked to be done. after a few years of living in a concrete loft, i'm looking forward to having a yard (mowing the lawn!), a garage, separate rooms with doors, and all the mundane domesticities that go with home ownership.

anyways... good luck manimal. its exciting times.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
manimal said:
ok, update.

My usual non-negotiable conditions of sale are

1. Full price
2. $1000 towards closing (includes appraisal, termite cert, atty's fees ect).

But this is on new homes and I know the market will bear it.

Good luck to you!!! Hope you get it!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Congrats dude! I quit smoking the day I closed on our first house because I knew I could no longer afford it. :D

I tried to quit before that, but the whole house buying process was too stressful.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
manimal said:
yay! they accepted our offer, going to sign contract tomorrow afternoon!!!

wow...i'm friggin scared and excited. :confused: :eek: :D
Very sweet!!!!!!! This is the best move to make you guys buying a house.:) Feel free to PM me for any questions on home inspections or construction:thumb: