Quantcast

Putting a 2 inch hitch on a VW bug.

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by mack, Sep 19, 2005.

1. mack

mack Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I want to put a hitch on my VW bug so i can take my bikes to races instead of using the Tundra.

I want to use a rack similar to a basic cargo basket. Does any one know how much it costs to put in a hitch reciever and where can i get it done for cheap? I dont really know anything about trailers or hitches. :think:

I was also looking at the sport works transport rack, but the cargo baskets are only 90 bucks and i already have a bunch of tie downs.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. zedro

zedro Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    Hidden Hitch is pretty standard, go to their site and search what kit is available. If theres only a 1 1/4" hitch, you'll need to buy an adaptor. Just about any garage can install one, but many setups are simple bolt-ons (Hidden Hitch will list that).

Or just call your VW garage for the straight poop.

3. Kntr

Kntr Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 20
    I just put a class 3 on my Durango for $160 and I installed it myself

4. syadasti

syadasti i heart mac

Rep/Likes:
    64 / 291
    You are probably stuck with 1.25" unless you get one custom made. Check www.hitch-web.com and/or uhaul

5. zedro

zedro Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    yeah but there are 1.25 to 2" adaptors made for racks, not towing tho. Using one for my Mazda 3

6. wood-dog

wood-dog Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    U-haul, $125.00 with a 2" hitch

7. buildyourown

buildyourown Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Is this an old beetle or the new beetle?
    If you pull this off with the new one, let me know how it goes. I would love to be able to carry DH bikes with my TDI.

I've had several friends get hitches on Jettas. You just have to find a custom shop that will ignore the fact that the vehical really shouldn't have a class 3 hitch. Explain to them that its for a bike rack and they should understand.

8. mack

mack Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I am gunna do it. How can i not? The TDI gets 40+ mpg and the truck only gets like 18.

What is tonge weight? The hitch im looking at from hidden hitch says that it can carry 2k lbs towing and 200 tonge weight?

9. Jimmy_Pop

Jimmy_Pop Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    I had a 99 new beetle and installed a 1.25" hitch and it fit perfect and it was pretty burly. It was cheep and you could probably have someone mod the hitch to accept the 2" bike rack.

Seems like an adapter would space the hitch 4-6" further. wouldnt that dramatically increase leverage on the hitch?

i seem to remember the NB hitch had a loop that clearanced the exhaust so you might want to get the 1.25" and modify it. that way you get a hitch that was designed for the car. cut out the 1.25" and install a 2" square tube and gusset the hell out of it.

That would pay for itself many times over.

10. narlus

narlus Eastcoast Softcore
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    16 / 21
    i faced the same dilemma w/ my civic. i didn't want to use the adapter for the torque reasons mentioned above, but you can't get a standard 2" receiver hitch for a car that small. so i had my brother-in-law weld a 2" receiver tube under the existing 1.25"

using the stock sportworks rack, i ran the risk of hitting the end of the straight part on the ground if i went over uneven pavement or a pothole:

so i ended up buying the riser accessory:

this hasn't been a problem. however, all told i was over $500 in the hole ($300 for the rack, $150 for the hitch, $60 for the riser. $15 for the 2" tube)

11. bigdrop05

bigdrop05 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    ooh that's nice....
    I plan on installing a 1.1/4" class II on my Chrysler Concorde LXi & just buying a 4x8 pull behind trailer for $300-$400...So i can use it for lawnmowers,pressurecleaners,etc.