Quantcast

Putting a 2 inch hitch on a VW bug.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I want to put a hitch on my VW bug so i can take my bikes to races instead of using the Tundra.

I want to use a rack similar to a basic cargo basket. Does any one know how much it costs to put in a hitch reciever and where can i get it done for cheap? I dont really know anything about trailers or hitches. :think:

I was also looking at the sport works transport rack, but the cargo baskets are only 90 bucks and i already have a bunch of tie downs.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Hidden Hitch is pretty standard, go to their site and search what kit is available. If theres only a 1 1/4" hitch, you'll need to buy an adaptor. Just about any garage can install one, but many setups are simple bolt-ons (Hidden Hitch will list that).

Or just call your VW garage for the straight poop.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Is this an old beetle or the new beetle?
If you pull this off with the new one, let me know how it goes. I would love to be able to carry DH bikes with my TDI.

I've had several friends get hitches on Jettas. You just have to find a custom shop that will ignore the fact that the vehical really shouldn't have a class 3 hitch. Explain to them that its for a bike rack and they should understand.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I am gunna do it. How can i not? The TDI gets 40+ mpg and the truck only gets like 18.

What is tonge weight? The hitch im looking at from hidden hitch says that it can carry 2k lbs towing and 200 tonge weight?

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
I had a 99 new beetle and installed a 1.25" hitch and it fit perfect and it was pretty burly. It was cheep and you could probably have someone mod the hitch to accept the 2" bike rack.

Seems like an adapter would space the hitch 4-6" further. wouldnt that dramatically increase leverage on the hitch?

i seem to remember the NB hitch had a loop that clearanced the exhaust so you might want to get the 1.25" and modify it. that way you get a hitch that was designed for the car. cut out the 1.25" and install a 2" square tube and gusset the hell out of it.

That would pay for itself many times over.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i faced the same dilemma w/ my civic. i didn't want to use the adapter for the torque reasons mentioned above, but you can't get a standard 2" receiver hitch for a car that small. so i had my brother-in-law weld a 2" receiver tube under the existing 1.25"

using the stock sportworks rack, i ran the risk of hitting the end of the straight part on the ground if i went over uneven pavement or a pothole:

so i ended up buying the riser accessory:

this hasn't been a problem. however, all told i was over $500 in the hole ($300 for the rack, $150 for the hitch, $60 for the riser. $15 for the 2" tube)

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
ooh that's nice....
I plan on installing a 1.1/4" class II on my Chrysler Concorde LXi & just buying a 4x8 pull behind trailer for $300-$400...So i can use it for lawnmowers,pressurecleaners,etc.