Quantcast

Putting a flatbar on

TheBiggmann

Chimp
Jun 21, 2006
I have a Specialized Rockhopper that I want to replace the stock bar with a flatbar on. How hard is it to do that? Pretty simple? Does anyone have like a guide or something? I can't imagine it's that hard but I figured I should ask. Also if anyone has any recommendations on a good bar that'd be awesome. Thanks!

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Haha i have neither of those, thinking I'll probably just take it into the shop then
Sorry man, I was messing with you. Kevin is right all you need are some wrenches. If you are unsure though it is always best to take it to a shop. If the guys there are chill they may even show you how to do it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
There are only two sizes for mountain bikes, 25.4mm (which is an inch), or 31.8, known as Oversized. If your Hardrock is within the last 5 years, it will be 31.8.

You can buy flat bars in either size.

The next hardest part is removing the old grips. They could be fused on, but they should be tough to move. If you have access to an air compressor, you can stick a nozzle under the grip and it will blow off, but if you don't, try twisting them off.

You may have to cut them off and put new ones on, and the trick is you don't have the compressor is using hairspray as a lubricant.

Finally, the rest of it you will need metric allen, aka hex, keys, probably just the 5mm. Take off the levers and shifters, remembering which ones are right and left, then undo the faceplate of the stem to remove the bar. Then reinstall.

Senorfrog

Chimp
Dec 29, 2009
Yeah you'll just need to make sure you get a right-handed wrench or else you won't be able to get the correct torque.

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
There are only two sizes for mountain bikes, 25.4mm (which is an inch), or 31.8, known as Oversized. If your Hardrock is within the last 5 years, it will be 31.8.

You can buy flat bars in either size.

The next hardest part is removing the old grips. They could be fused on, but they should be tough to move. If you have access to an air compressor, you can stick a nozzle under the grip and it will blow off, but if you don't, try twisting them off.

You may have to cut them off and put new ones on, and the trick is you don't have the compressor is using hairspray as a lubricant.

Finally, the rest of it you will need metric allen, aka hex, keys, probably just the 5mm. Take off the levers and shifters, remembering which ones are right and left, then undo the faceplate of the stem to remove the bar. Then reinstall.
your such a good mechanic

TheBiggmann

Chimp
Jun 21, 2006
Sanjuro, do the Rockhoppers have the 31.8 too? It's an '06 Rockhopper. That really doesn't sound bad, now you've got me thinking about doing it myself haha

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
Sanjuro, do the Rockhoppers have the 31.8 too? It's an '06 Rockhopper. That really doesn't sound bad, now you've got me thinking about doing it myself haha
No possible way for you to measure it?

regarding the bar size on the hardrocks its actually 25.4 on some models of hardrock and 31.8 on others. Depends on the model really.

Same thing with your Rockhopper. I believe the base '06 was 25.4 and as you moved up they switched to 31.8.

Really though you need to find a measuring device and measure your bar near the stem clamp to find its size.

Also if you do decide to do this at home you will need one of these:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I believe so. You can confirm very easily with a ruler. If you don't have metric, the old style is 1 inch, the new one is about 1 1/4. Measure at the stem, not the bar ends.

It shouldn't be too hard as long as you use metric allen keys. English will round your bolt heads.