Quantcast

Putting brakes on my bmx

Feb 23, 2008
I bought a used BMX off of craigslist that was brakeless. I don't want to get into the entire brake vs. brakeless debate, so please save it. I have decided that I want brakes.

Here is what I'm looking at getting:

Lever

Cable

Brake

I'm not sure if I need a linear pull cable or not. The Odyssey brakes seem like a good deal when you consider they come with the spreader and U-cable as well as a couple of extras.

Is there anything I'm missing?

Also, I'm really confused on the dual cable set ups, are those only for gyros?

Thanks in advance.

Oct 6, 2008
Plainfield, IL
Dual cables don't have to be gyro specific but it is unnecessary otherwise. As for the linear cable that you linked...linear just refers to the cable housing. It has the linear weave like derailleur cables to make it stronger and keep it from getting kinked like standard cable housing.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
what you picked will work fine. the lever might be a bit short, but many people like them. Dual cable IS for gyro. lube the cable, put grease on the brake mounts and clean your pads/rims with a de-greaser and you should be good to go.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
That's a good setup right there. Ody everything is reliable. You definitely want a linear cable. Yes, a dual cable setup is usually for a gyro.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
If you want to save money, just get the Dia-Tech Hombre's for 16.99 instead of the Odyssey Evo 2's for $38.

I have used the original Dia-Compe 990's and Hombre's on several bikes and they work awesome when dialed in correctly.

The key is a good lever and a good cable with a TON of lube (like Tri-Flow) inside the housing. Don't be afraid to keep dripping in the housing till it is coming out the other side. I also use a little grease on the inner cable in addition to the Tri-Flow--i think it keeps your brake pulling smooth for longer, whereas just Tri-Flow will dry out/evaporate after a while.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
If you want to save money, just get the Dia-Tech Hombre's for 16.99 instead of the Odyssey Evo 2's for $38.

I have used the original Dia-Compe 990's and Hombre's on several bikes and they work awesome when dialed in correctly.
I'm with him. I've an Hombre up front for my flatland bike and it grips like hell (with a chrome rim). Since the early 90's, I've used 990's on all my bmx race bikes. Good ish.