Quantcast

Putting our dog down tomorrow

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
About a month ago our dog was diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma and was pretty far in where it was un-treatable. Tomorrow we've made the decision it was his time. I asked our oldest daughter (3) tonight if she knew where Kona was going tomorrow. Now we're not religious people but she said "He's going to be with Jesus because Jesus is sad and needs a good dog". So, here's to you Kona. Thanks for being a part of our lives.

I feel a weekend bender coming on.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
We've had to put 3 down over the past few years. It hurt with the Bichon, really hurt with the stray we adopted, and brought out a boatload of tears recently with our Cavalier.

Sorry for the loss, you're doing the right thing for Kona, and you have one smart 3-year-old.....

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Yea I had to put mine down before due to an incurable nose disease. I am 20 now, but we had to put the dog down when I was 17, and I grew up with him from first grade (age 7?). It just sucked seeing him walking down the hall way. My dad shed a few tears, I acted hard and held it back. It was like loosing one of my best friends. But there is joy in a new puppy too.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sorry to hear that. Been in the same position several times. One of the hardest yet kindest things you can do.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Sorry to hear that. We put our lab down when I was about 7 years old and it was really hard on me at that time. Now it's getting time to put down my 13 year old Boston Terrier and am dreading the day it happens. She has slept next to me almost every night for the past 13 years and still sometimes acts like a puppy...but she's literally falling apart, haha.

Good luck man, I love my pets beyond belief and I'm sure you do too so it's hard to see them leave.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yup I feel your pain, I was stragely just in an email conversation to my brother about how long ago it was we had our dog put down. Sadly it is only a few days until the second full year I've without dog.

Here is a pic of old Barney about a month before we had him put down, he was an esimated 17years old in this shot.

I never thought I would put a pic of my dog up on a bike forum, ahh well.
My dog was a stray that I found walkng home from the beach when I was 11, he had every rib exposed a tail tht I thought had be docked(poorley) the local vet estimated he was two years old so we went with that.
Over my dogs life he had two teeth removed and that was pretty much the only medical bill over $100 we ever had from him, one ay I came home from a cople of drinks at the pub to find my dog had had a trip to the vet and could hardly balance.
As it turned out he had a suspected brain tumor that took him from being a 17yo dog that was still doing 2mile walks easily to a dog that couldn't stad and had no bowel control in one afternoon.

Sometimes nature is a mother****er, we had no choice but to have old Barney put down which hit my old man hard as he had just retired and they ere best buds.

pZyteX

Monkey
Jan 28, 2003
Amsterdam
Good luck tomorrow man, I have a dog that's 15 years old that I grew up with and I can't imagine having to have her put down.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
I love dogs. love em to death. My friend runs a rescue group and I always look forward to when he gets a new dog since we get to walk it. But man.......having to put a dog down I think would just ruin me. Best of luck and stay strong, this is the best thing for your pooch.

One of the most gut wrenching videos I've ever watched in my life deals with putting a dog down.

"Last Minutes With Oden" http://vimeo.com/8191217 I highly suggest NOT watching this at work. You will be far pressed to find someone that doesn't tear up watching that video. As as video guy, I don't know how the camera man kept it together during that, I would have been blubbering like a baby.

JayBear

Monkey
Sorry for your loss..Ive been there twice so far, its a terrible feeling, but time has a way of healing.

I have way more compassion for animals then people...Mans best friend is right..

:cheers: Cheers To the dogs that are gone, and the ones still here..

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
i cant even think of when im gonna have to put my best friend down, shes turning 13 the day i turn 18 and shes aged really fast the last 2 years, been my best friend since like 3rd grade. sorry for your lose but theres always another great dog waiting for a home.

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
The thread about Kona being found brought me back to when we had to put our Kona down earlier this summer. But, on a happier note, we've decided to foster/rescue this guy from a kill shelter in GA. 2yo black lab that was picked up as a stray. He was at the top of list to be put down so we decided to take him in. The shelter said he has some hair loss due to flea infestation but overall he's very chill for a 2yo lab, temp tested really we'll and also kid tested really well. We just couldn't bring ourselves to getting another yellow:

We're still undecided on a name but we're just excited to give him another chance.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
there is no greater reward than saving a dog from the gas chamber. i will never "buy" a dog, there are far too many waiting in doggy prison, most for no crime other than having ****ty owners. rescue animals know what you have done for them and i would punch anyone in the face who denies that.

as one friend leaves your life, another is brought in and your daughters now have a great friend to embark on life with. good luck with the new pup!

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Sorry to hear Jake, like everyone else here I dread the day Colt might have to be put down. Rescued this dude 3 years ago from a abusive, 65 year old drunk that kept him in a kennel 16 hours a day. Called animal control and said he was vicious.

It takes this guy 3 weeks to eat a stuffed animal. I want to go back to the old dude and punch him in the lips.

Colt is about 5 now, and a absolute gentleman.

taken the day I brought him home. He seemed so happy to sleep somewhere other than a kennel.

to our friends!

Last edited:

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
+rep for rescuing! :thumb:

Looks like a good dog. Heck, he's already smiling... and Zeus is already an awesome name.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
there is no greater reward than saving a dog from the gas chamber. i will never "buy" a dog, there are far too many waiting in doggy prison, most for no crime other than having ****ty owners. rescue animals know what you have done for them and i would punch anyone in the face who denies that.

as one friend leaves your life, another is brought in and your daughters now have a great friend to embark on life with. good luck with the new pup!
:stupid:

We got our oldest from Southwest Washington Humane Society, an estimated 3 year old black lab that someone clearly had beat. :( Best dog I have ever had. We will never get a dog from any place other than the pound or a rescue group. He's an old man now and when that day comes, its going to be hard.

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
+rep for rescuing! :thumb:

Looks like a good dog. Heck, he's already smiling... and Zeus is already an awesome name.
Thanks! We were kind of the fence about the name. It is what the shelter is calling him. We're pumped but at the same time a little sad since he's going to bring back memories. We rescued Kona from a very similar situation at the same age. Can't wait to have him around.

Sorry to hear Jake, like everyone else here I dread the day Colt might have to be put down. Rescued this dude 3 years ago from a abusive, 65 year old drunk that kept him in a kennel 16 hours a day. Called animal control and said he was vicious.

It takes this guy 3 weeks to eat a stuffed animal. I want to go back to the old dude and punch him in the lips.

Colt is about 5 now, and a absolute gentleman.

taken the day I brought him home. He seemed so happy to sleep somewhere other than a kennel.

to our friends!
Good for you man! When I was in college we.....ahhh......procured a dog that was in a similar situation through different means that involved wearing black and picking her up in the middle of the night.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Hey Vinny!
Good job on the dog.
We did the same thing years ago.
Adopted a 2 year old chocolate lab.
I actually named him Zeus, so I could call him "Hey Zeus" from that scene with Samuel L. Jackson in Die Hard 3.
Quote:
John McClane: Thanks a lot, Jesus.
Zeus: Why the hell do you keep calling me Jesus? Do I look Puerto Rican to you?
John McClane: That guy back there, he called you Jesus.
Zeus: No, he didn't, he said "Hey, Zeus." My name is Zeus.
John McClane: Zeus?
Zeus: Yeah, Zeus. You know, Mount Olympus, father of Apollo, don't f**k with me or I'll shove a lightning bolt up your ass, Zeus! You got a problem with that?

Stick with Zeus. :D

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
My brother and his wife used to be dog walkers for a shelter in Sydney and when the moved to Scotland they went to a dog rescuer and got a dog that was owned by a mentally special person, special person liked to beat his dog so he was taken away from the owner.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Both our dogs kept their shelter/rescue names because we are both unoriginal and uncreative. "Mazda" and "Denver".
Colt was his name as well from the PO. Named after Colt 45 Malt Liquor.

Im not sure if it was unclear but homeboy called animal control on his dog complaining how vicious he is. We merely took him from the dude before animal control got there.

yeah vicious.

My next tattoo is of him in a super ornate picture frame with a monocle and maybe a top hat, because he's a classy mother****er.

Last edited:

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
Hey Vinny!
Good job on the dog.
We did the same thing years ago.
Adopted a 2 year old chocolate lab.
I actually named him Zeus, so I could call him "Hey Zeus" from that scene with Samuel L. Jackson in Die Hard 3.
Quote:
John McClane: Thanks a lot, Jesus.
Zeus: Why the hell do you keep calling me Jesus? Do I look Puerto Rican to you?
John McClane: That guy back there, he called you Jesus.
Zeus: No, he didn't, he said "Hey, Zeus." My name is Zeus.
John McClane: Zeus?
Zeus: Yeah, Zeus. You know, Mount Olympus, father of Apollo, don't f**k with me or I'll shove a lightning bolt up your ass, Zeus! You got a problem with that?

Stick with Zeus. :D
Ah, Jeremy coming through as usual with the kicker!

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
I had a hard time reading this article without getting choked up.... and a little teary eyed.... you have been warned.

A dog's perfect day

It was a gray morning when the vet told Harry that his dog Duke's heart was failing and that it wouldn't be long before he died. Harry was not surprised, but still, the news depressed him. Listening to the vet, Harry later told me, he'd gotten an idea, one he thought would pay tribute to his life with Duke and give him something to feel besides sadness and loss.

"Tomorrow, I'm going to give you a Perfect Day," he said quietly to Duke as they left the vet's office. He would take the day off from work and create a sweet memory with his dog. It would be a special day, filled with all the things Duke loved most, as close to perfect as Harry could make it.

Last edited: