Quantcast

pwn3d

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Polandspring88 said:
Sheesh, shes one tall girl. Certainly has me by a few inches. I wouldn't worry, in a few years once her PE classes are eliminated by the school for being too competitive and demeaning to the children you will be able to take your rightful place at the front of the pack.
The main problem is I am too damn slow and fat. I'm working to fix that.

218 lbs hurts the shins.

:ouch:

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
East County via East Coast
narlus said:
there was an article in the Globe last week about a day spa type thing which catered to girls as young as 4.

:help:

and you wonder why kids grow into brats? how many kids drive BMWs or Lexuses to their high school? the amount of entitlement these days is totally off the charts.

i'm sure my mom and dad would have said the same thing, but i think it's gone up exponentially.
you hit the nail on the head..."entitlement". i teach high schoolers and the sense of entitlement most of them have is appaling. as a kid, we had to work for/earn whatever special things we got. cell phones? lexuses? where is it going to end?

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
stephanie said:
you hit the nail on the head..."entitlement". i teach high schoolers and the sense of entitlement most of them have is appaling. as a kid, we had to work for/earn whatever special things we got. cell phones? lexuses? where is it going to end?
Funny you mention that. I had a job pretty much from the time I was legal, at 14 years old working in the grocery store. Many kids that I went to high school with, and even plenty of the kids that I still know in high school do not have a job. To them mooching is a full time job.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
PsychO!1 said:
So...how did last nights room tossing go?
It didn't.

We went for a run and had a really good talk. I set some tighter guidlines and let her know that the trust has be demolished and it's up to her to re-build.

Then we got home and had a cat emergency. Our cat peed all over my bed. Specifically, all over $350 worth of 600 fill down comforter and duvet.

I spent the rest of the night doing an emergency laundry run.

:nonono:

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Polandspring88 said:
Funny you mention that. I had a job pretty much from the time I was legal, at 14 years old working in the grocery store. Many kids that I went to high school with, and even plenty of the kids that I still know in high school do not have a job. To them mooching is a full time job.
Yes, I too worked my first job at a grocery store (Big Y...polandspring88, you may know that one). So many of us out here paid for our own cars, gas, insurance, and other random "privilidges". I agree with treating kids every once in a while, but when they start to *expect* it and have no gratitude, that's when it's time to put the brakes on.

Many of my students just don't listen to any teachers, and a lot of that comes from not having a strong authority figure at home. H8R , I think you're taking the right approach. My parents were strict with me, and I turned out okay. My parents were not strict with my 2 younger siblings, and they're now having to try to enforce basic discipline on a 17-year-old who hasn't had any since he was born. Nearly pointless, I'm sure you can agree. From the teaching aspect, I know that sometimes teachers are the only adult figures my students have contact with on a regular daily basis. I'm not a parent, but I do know that being a presence, asking questions, and enforcing rules goes a long way.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
stephanie said:
Yes, I too worked my first job at a grocery store
Weird how so many first jobs involve groceries. My first was at an open-air produce market. We sold christmas trees in Dec.

J

JRB

The moral of all of this is to kill the cat.

I can't begin to imagine H8R. I know how scary it was when Caroline got sick. Having any kid that you really care about does a lot to shift perspectives. It's an unenviable postion to be in, having to worry. That said, it's all going to be worth it.

Huge props for caring.

Now - enough with the drama already. :think: I've got that all under control.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
stephanie said:
I feel entitled to a HS teacher who can spell............. :p

Kidding. I'm kidding...... I'm a kidder.......

:D

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
I feel entitled to a HS teacher who can spell............. :p

Kidding. I'm kidding...... I'm a kidder.......

You chose to double post something that makes zero sense. Nice. WTF do you mean, you feel entitled???

J

JRB

stephanie said:
i miss ONE 'L' and you guys come down on me! one lousy 'L'! okay, my excuse is that i teach chemistry, not english.
Don't mind that hippie. Did you actually understand what he was saying????

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
stephanie said:
i miss ONE 'L' and you guys come down on me! one lousy 'L'! okay, my excuse is that i teach chemistry, not english.
Capitalization is your friend.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
yes, i saw the hidden text...just trying to get some sympathy.

as for the capitalization, this is the one place where i don't have to worry about having perfect grammar, sentence structure, syntax, etc. :)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:
Hey. Get off her back. She went to the narlus school of sentence structure.......... :D
hey, i'm a free thinker...what can i say, i love ellipses and hate the shift key.

i think i need to change up my spacing though; constant double-spacing is getting tired.

this is better. :clue:

J

JRB

stephanie said:
yes, i saw the hidden text...just trying to get some sympathy.

as for the capitalization, this is the one place where i don't have to worry about having perfect grammar, sentence structure, syntax, etc. :)
This is NOT the ONE place for that. :mumble:

J

JRB

narlus said:
hey, i'm a free thinker...what can i say, i love ellipses and hate the shift key.

i think i need to change up my spacing though; constant double-spacing is getting tired.

this is better. :clue:
For some reason, I insist on triplets of my punctuation to end a sentence...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
stephanie said:
Not so fast, check your browsers address bar right now. It says "http://www.ridemonkey.com", not "http://www.pinkbike.com".

:)

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
stinkyboy said:
That's tall for middle earth isn't it?

;)
DNA said:
5 foot tall, carries a medieval weapon ... Gimli?

Edit: Dammit! Stinky beat me to to the Tolkein reference.
Hey, I've grown since then. I am now a whopping 5'6"! Hey, 2000 years ago in Rome I would have been a giant!

I gotta eat more gruel.