Quantcast

Q-Ball?

hitekrdnk

Monkey
May 15, 2006
Let's see, you can pick up the phone and order a frame and fork for around 500 bucks that was welded and painted by the guy on the other end of the line that spends the rest of his efforts making custom bikes and knows bikes in general like the back of his hand. Or you can get something made overseas for about the same price or even cheaper.

Yeah, you have to like black and hopefully the standard sizing puts you in the ballpark, but for me at least it would be a no brainer but I ended up with the ones in my like water for ti thread instead. And a Ti SS that my son has also and rode the crap out of this season and loved it and then there is the whole 9Ball thing going on.....

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The only nitpicking thing I have about the Qball frames is that I wish Scott would have deviated from the Karate Monkey in a few areas.

In particular - either a longer top tube on the small or, greater standover on the Medium, Large and upward frames.

But it definitely is a great value for sure!

Aug 1, 2006
Newtown, CT
Any Q-Ball owners out there? Mm, that stuff is sure looking good...
Yes sir! Been riding my Q Ball since August, rigid and SS, and lovin' every minute of it! :banana:

Handles great, the weight is perfect for SS and climbing. Just switched out my nano-raptors for moto-raptors. Running 32:20 right now and I am definitely rocking well on Ueber New England Techy trails!

I got some pix of my qball on my Blog, check them out: CT MTB Blog
There is alot of other MTB stuff going on there, so check out:
More shots of my Q ball
and
Here is my Q ball
and some pre-delivery shots (Scott did me a favor and did the build for me, disassembled it and shipped it to me and I just had to put the major components together): Pre-delivery pix

Lemme know if you have any questions.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Yes sir! Been riding my Q Ball since August, rigid and SS, and lovin' every minute of it! :banana:

Handles great, the weight is perfect for SS and climbing. Just switched out my nano-raptors for moto-raptors. Running 32:20 right now and I am definitely rocking well on Ueber New England Techy trails!

I got some pix of my qball on my Blog, check them out: CT MTB Blog
There is alot of other MTB stuff going on there, so check out:
More shots of my Q ball
and
Here is my Q ball
and some pre-delivery shots (Scott did me a favor and did the build for me, disassembled it and shipped it to me and I just had to put the major components together): Pre-delivery pix

hey I drove near Newtown last Saturday en route to Danbury for a hockey game.

Good riding around there? Any riding in Bethel that you can access that isn't Cannondale testing grounds trails? Do they still test bikes there?

hitekrdnk

Monkey
May 15, 2006
The only nitpicking thing I have about the Qball frames is that I wish Scott would have deviated from the Karate Monkey in a few areas.

In particular - either a longer top tube on the small or, greater standover on the Medium, Large and upward frames.

But it definitely is a great value for sure!
And this would please you and how many other people? Like I said if you fit in the standard sizing window. You can't please everybody when you are trying to make a budget frame but at least he did something about trying to get some folks on american iron instead of the overseas made middleman marketing bike route others take to reach a comparable pricepoint.

If the sizing doesn't work his custom jobs are not all that much more than some of the boutique brand framesets so popular with the masses either.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
And this would please you and how many other people? Like I said if you fit in the standard sizing window. You can't please everybody when you are trying to make a budget frame but at least he did something about trying to get some folks on american iron instead of the overseas made middleman marketing bike route others take to reach a comparable pricepoint.

If the sizing doesn't work his custom jobs are not all that much more than some of the boutique brand framesets so popular with the masses either.

I'm not complaining at all. As I said I was nitpicking. If I were to choose between a small Karate Monkey and a small Q-ball I'd go with the Q-Ball hands down.

Also, I really appreciated Scott's attention to my inquiries about his frames and forks. His replies were timely, responsive and full of great information. Good stuff!

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali

Neat. Did you have any previous 29er experience you could compare it with? I'm thinking about sizing and all that. Yeah, I can see that it's got more of a KM-style "normal frame" than the niner-style "extreme sloping TT.

I'm guessing the Mike just makes these up a batch at a time, then sells 'em down. I wonder what he's got on hand....

Aug 1, 2006
Newtown, CT
Neat. Did you have any previous 29er experience you could compare it with? I'm thinking about sizing and all that. Yeah, I can see that it's got more of a KM-style "normal frame" than the niner-style "extreme sloping TT.

I'm guessing the Mike just makes these up a batch at a time, then sells 'em down. I wonder what he's got on hand....
No, never rode a 29er before but I just knew that a 29er was the right thing for me. Just like I knew MTB was the right activity for me and look at me now! I love riding it though! Since I have gotten it, I have ridden my 26er once and now I am thinking about selling it and getting another 29er, probably something with a little squish but that purchase won't be till next year.

Yes, it doesn't have the slope of the Niners. Not sure if there is any advantage in that, though it would mean that you need more seatpost.

The owner/builder's name is Scott Quiring. Really nice and helpful. It was great doing business with him.

When you get yours, please post some pics!