Quantcast

Q for gold label users

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
20mm version - does your front wheel sit a little off center? i push my axle in all the way and thats how it lines up...off center. its not rubbing the leg or anything, just not centered.
sound normal or do you guys have to self align your axle+wheel, then lock everything down?

tks

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Seems like I remember mine being off a little bit. Isn't it supposed to be off a little if you're using a disc brake hub? Or, should it still be centered?

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
kidwoo - def not a prob w/ the wheel. wheel is not dished out. i've had 2 wheels where this has happened (same fork-GL2)

1st wheel had a profile non disc hub
2nd wheel has old school boxxer non disc hub

its a pretty weird situation, people ask me if my wheel is wacked out. its been like that for years without problems.

JJJKKK

Chimp
Dec 8, 2007
Stoked I feel your problem.

I've got the same situation, I had it with my first lowers and with these newer ones as well. Also my lbs's Manitou-mechanic knows this problem. It's basically hit or miss will you have it or not.

You can fix it by placing a thin spacer through the axle between the hub and the leg.

OR

Make a special tool for shaving off the extra material (Check the crappy pic I made).

Those areas on the picture are unflat and stops the front hub from sitting straight against the legs and causes this problem and also when you tighten up the axle the force transmits unevenly against the hub's collars and can damage them as it did on my case when I had custom collars on my hub made from soft 6000-series aluminum. The force basically crushed them from one side, from there where these "lumbs" were against the hub.

Sorry my english.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
Stoked I feel your problem.

I've got the same situation, I had it with my first lowers and with these newer ones as well. Also my lbs's Manitou-mechanic knows this problem. It's basically hit or miss will you have it or not.
good to hear someone can relate. thanks for your post and diagram.

maybe my lbs can figure something out. although i could live with it i guess.

SDG

Chimp
May 24, 2007
i have had the same problem with the goldlabel, but i dished out the wheel a bit to set it nice in the center. Before i did this i would set the 20mm thrue axcel a bit back and tighten the 2 little screws. Then tightend the preload srew on the side. This fix would hold for a day or so. I allway's thought the people at manitou made a mistake with the 20mm axcel.

JJJKKK

Chimp
Dec 8, 2007
I allway's thought the people at manitou made a mistake with the 20mm axcel.
Yes. There's two mistakes.

There's the off centering and that there's not much room for those hubs which have big outside dimension for collars.

Off center is easy to fix by placing a thin spacer between the hub and the other leg (Can't remember which one it was).

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
yea, i always used to put in the axle, tighten the two screws on one side holding it down centered, then tighten all the rest. seemed to work for me.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
I just fixed this problem last night using a spacer. I had crank spacers for 19mm axles. I used one of the bigger ones and got at it with a rat tail file. took about 10 min to open it up to 20mm. made for a nice tight fit. put the spacer on the bolt side of the axle and it worked mint!

I was thinking of filing the actual axle down on the notches but that would be a project and could potentially f-it up. filing out crank bolt spacers was super easy and now my wheel is sitting centered.

Before i started, sans spacer, i tried self centering and cranking on the pinch bolts to hold, then tighten the axle. I didn't feel comfortable with that setup. I totally recommend the spacer idea.