Quantcast

Q for tri state riders?

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
During yesterday's run we discussed about the possibility of an affordable trip to the mainland.

My son wants to go to Whistler but we can not afford such a trip even thou we would love to go. Then Vermont and Jersey came as destinations, one of the guys have been in Vermont and told us that there were trails for all levels of riding and that there was Diablo in NJ. Checked Diablo's page but seems that all the trails are intermediate up so my kid and I couldn't ride them because we're beginners.

My wife and daughter want to tag along to do some sightseeing, this would prolly turn into a family vacation with dh on the side.

Is there a place in the tri state area worth a trip? Looking for a set of trails with a place to stay near by and a train station so the non riders can take to train to NYC.

Am I asking or pretending too much?

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Connecting trains to DH serviced mountains may be asking for too much. Diablo may have bus service, however, as they also have a water park there - and tons of bus loads of people from NY come in for that. For family options, you should also take a look at Jiminy Peak in Hancock, MA - beginner to intermediate trails and there is a kid's fun park on the grounds as well.

Other ideas: Go to Plattekill and have the wife and kids drive into Woodstock, NY for the day. It's about 45 minutes away.

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
Thanks Jim.

The train is an idea for the non riders (wife and daughter).

Jiminy looks interesting, were can I find info on Plattekill?

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
and here's the 'backdoor' way to get to Platty for summer info: http://www.plattekill.com/summer

Besides what I mentioned, you can also connect many DH mountains in the northeast in a week: Whiteface (with Lake Placid, NY close by - lots of family things to do there), Killington in VT, Highland in NH, Attitash in NH (fun park there, plus Mount Washington close by), Mount Snow, Hunter Mountain (close to Plattekill and Woodstock), Maybe Windham Mountain (also in the vicinity of Platty and Hunter). I'm sure there are a few more, but I'm drawing a blank right now - Jim

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
As far as I know, there aren't any DH places that are close enough to NYC to have decent public transit. Diablo is too far and a bit too isolated for that to be easy. Plattekilll, well, don't hold your breath.

Also, the trails at Diablo aren't as hard as the trail ratings might suggest. In terms of a beginner trying to get down the hill, I think they might be easier than Plattekill. Platty is steeper in some places and much looser- the rocks move.

Killington may be a good option. It has decent enough riding, isn't too hard and there's tons of stuff to do in VT (it ain't NYC, but whatever.)

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Okay here is some info that should help:
At Whiteface Mountain Bike Park we have a shuttle bus that services only beginner/intermediate terrain. If you are a beginner you def. don't want to ride the gondola to the summit. However, with your lift ticket you bought for the shuttle bus, you can take a scenic ride up the gondola without your bikes just to hang out with your family up top.
We also accommodate the non bikers in your family and they can actually ride on the bus with you and hike down or hang out at the waterfalls (great family picnic spot and you can watch bikers cross the stream in their bikes).
Whiteface is 10 minutes from the village of Lake Placid, N.Y. Way too much family stuff to do in Lake Placid in the summer to type.
The only train goes to a small town called Westport, N.Y. From there a bus brings you to the Olympic village of Lake Placid. See directions on our web site for all contact info for trains, ferries, etc.
We are approx 5 + hours from the N.Y. City area but are located in some pretty big mountains.
We even operate a x-c mountain bike center if the non bikers in the group want to give it a try on much easier off-road terrain.

www.downhillmike.com for all your Whiteface Mountain Bike Park info

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
Okay here is some info that should help:
At Whiteface Mountain Bike Park we have a shuttle bus that services only beginner/intermediate terrain. If you are a beginner you def. don't want to ride the gondola to the summit. However, with your lift ticket you bought for the shuttle bus, you can take a scenic ride up the gondola without your bikes just to hang out with your family up top.
We also accommodate the non bikers in your family and they can actually ride on the bus with you and hike down or hang out at the waterfalls (great family picnic spot and you can watch bikers cross the stream in their bikes).
Whiteface is 10 minutes from the village of Lake Placid, N.Y. Way too much family stuff to do in Lake Placid in the summer to type.
The only train goes to a small town called Westport, N.Y. From there a bus brings you to the Olympic village of Lake Placid. See directions on our web site for all contact info for trains, ferries, etc.
We are approx 5 + hours from the N.Y. City area but are located in some pretty big mountains.
We even operate a x-c mountain bike center if the non bikers in the group want to give it a try on much easier off-road terrain.

www.downhillmike.com for all your Whiteface Mountain Bike Park info
Thanks Mike, excellent info.

What's the closest airport?

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Albany, N.Y., Montreal, Quebec and Burlington, VT. are all approx. 2 hours from Lake Placid.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
Whiteface (with Lake Placid, NY close by - lots of family things to do there), Killington in VT, Highland in NH, Attitash in NH (fun park there, plus Mount Washington close by),
Attitash is also near North Conway which has tons of outlets and little shops to walk around in. There is also a train station that has a family orientated train ride. check out www.conwayscenic.com for more info on the train ride.

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
Thanks guys.

Talked last night with a friend that lives in Old Forge and told me that Plattekill and Whiteface are about 1 hr from him. They own a bed and breakfast and are willing to let us use their car, sounds like this trip may become a reality after all.