Quantcast

Q for you 6Point and 7Point riders...

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Looking at the 15" size, with it's 22" toptube, sounds perfect for me and what I like in fit. 5'9" with average torso and arms, but shorty legs.

But the 22" TT measure is taken with the 25mm setback seatpost, yeah? I'm wanting to use my Gravity Dropper post with the frame - no setback. But it'll leave about 9.5" exposed post at full extension, maybe with the 71* seat tube angle that'll still allow me to get far enough back without cramming my seat way too far back.

Am I going to be too cramped? The 17" frame would be great in the TT, but is more seattube than I want.

Other decent frames with something like a 15" seattube and 22" or so toptubes, in the 6" or so travel range?

Swap on most of my existing parts, resell the stock parts on my old frame is the plan. My current 66ATA up front, maybe a 8.5x2.5 rear shock to lower and slacken things a touch as well.

rideitall

Chimp
Feb 2, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I am not quite 5' 10", and have been on both the 6 point and 7 poing bikes.

My current ride is a medium 6 point. I wouldn't want to ride a small. The 6 point fits a little smaller than a 7 point.

Serveral other comments have been made on mtbr, one rider at 5'9" went from a med to a large and liked it better.

darenp

Chimp
Mar 22, 2007
I have a size small 7 point and i am 5'7". If i were you the smallest i would go is a medium. the size small is on the smaller side for me, so go with a medium or large

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I'm 5'10" and ride a Medium 7point ('05). I think the 6points run a little small (shorter top tubes as mentioned).

toby

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
I'm not sure how tall I am to be exact, maybe 5'10", and I've had a 17" 7point5 for a year and a half and it fits great. My friend has a 15" and it feels too small for me. Overall, it is up to you and how you like your bike to fit you.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Thanks all.

Decision made. Ordered up a clearance Yakuza Ojiki 15" that has the TT length and other numbers I'm after. Cheaper for the complete bike than most frames; and I'm completely fine with the simple single pivot thing. Wheelbase and chainstay length is what I'm wanting, and the rest should work well for me. I'm no huge hucker, just like slack angles, technical and steep trails.

Plan: 8.5 x 2.5 DHX Air 5.0 to drop the BB a bit, slacken it a bit, drop the travel down to about 6.3", lighten up from the stock Vanilla RC.

Cane Creek Double XC Flush reducer headset to drop the front back down (yeah, after dropping things with the shorter shock...) Fork is the 08 66 ATA I already have. So with the shorter shock, shorter headset, but ~ 30mm taller fork, I'm estimating a final head angle of ~67* with the fork set at 180mm, maybe slightly less. If I wanting slacker, I can always run the stock (or other taller lower headset cup) to gain a bit more.

All the parts from this are swapping over:

The Preston is a nice frame, but I'm just not getting comfy with the fit and sizing on it. Average torso and arm length, but short legs. Already have a buyer for the frame lined up, for nearly the cost of the whole Ojiki bike, plus I can still keep the parts from it as spares, or sell them off.