Quantcast

QOTD 7/10: Does capitalization count?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Actually no, that's two words with different pronunciations. It's not one word. Each has a specific meaning. It's like the words "live" and "live" two seperate words with seperate meanings.

Be more clear, sucka!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BurlyShirley said:
Actually no, that's two words with different pronunciations. It's not one word. Each has a specific meaning. It's like the words "live" and "live" two seperate words with seperate meanings.

Be more clear, sucka!
Actually, he didn't say it was only one word. He asked what word changes its pronunciation when it was capitalized. He didn't say that the second way of pronouncing it was the same word.

Read the post more carefully, sucka! ;)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
binary visions said:
Actually, he didn't say it was only one word. He asked what word changes its pronunciation when it was capitalized. He didn't say that the second way of pronouncing it was the same word.

Read the post more carefully, sucka! ;)

No he said "What Word" which implies ONE word with the lack of any plurality SUCKA! polish and Polish are TWO words.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
And technically speaking if Polish where not capitalized it would be incorrect spelling and hence it cannot exist in lower case. So it cannot "be" capitalized from the lower case to change. It just "is" that way :rofl:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BurlyShirley said:
No he said "What Word" which implies ONE word with the lack of any plurality SUCKA! polish and Polish are TWO words.
Yes, but "polish" is one word. It's just a single word, whose pronunciation (and yes, meaning) changes when it is capitalized.

What word is a verb used in football, but means "not aggressive" when you add "-ive". The answer is "pass". Just a single word. Even though "passive" is a completely different word, the answer is a single word.

Which means, of course, that I answered it wrong :p

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
binary visions said:
Yes, but "polish" is one word. It's just a single word, whose pronunciation (and yes, meaning) changes when it is capitalized.

What word is a verb used in football, but means "not aggressive" when you add "-ive". The answer is "pass". Just a single word. Even though "passive" is a completely different word, the answer is a single word.

Which means, of course, that I answered it wrong :p
But "pass" without the suffix is changing the entire spelling to create a new word and a new meaning. Therefore again, its not the same word. Its two words with two spellings and two meanings. Just like polish and Polish.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
robdamanii said:
I was meaning something spelled the same but read differently based upon capitalization.

Someone's right, but my head hurts too much to reason who is correct.
I know what you meant man...

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
robdamanii said:
I was meaning something spelled the same but read differently based upon capitalization.

Someone's right, but my head hurts too much to reason who is correct.
Well, the problem is that in the following sentence the word "Polish" is pronounced the same is the word "polish".

Polish the metal ring to ensure minimal friction.

So it's not even true that it is always pronounced differently when capitalised. To be even more pedantic you should have pointed out that only the first letter should be capitalised.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Lots of words like that IAB.

For instance.

"Tape this for me." TONS of meanings there.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
I Are Baboon said:
If someone typed "Polish is the best!", how would you know if they were referring to Polish or polish without knowing the context of the statement?
Either way it's not a great sentence...

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
I Are Baboon said:
You're just saying that because you are neither polish nor Polish.
Actually I was saying that because technically the sentence lacks an object. It has an adjective without a requesite noun.

Polish or Polish I am not so you are correct in your observation, however.