Quantcast

QOTD 7/11: Who's an english major?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Manufacture?

Sheesh... that was an exceptionally easy one. "UFA" is enough of a sound by itself to make it a lot easier to find a word.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
robdamanii said:
Manufacturing comes from the root word, maufacture. For all intents and purposes, it is the same word.
While I agree they have the same root, they are not to all intents and purposes the same word, or they would be interchangeable which they are not...:)

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
robdamanii said:
This man was a farmer who went on to earn a PhD and then saved many millions of lives. Who is he and what did he invent/devise/introduce?
Who is Bruce Wayne? If not for him, the Joker would have killed everyone in Gotham city.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Frederick Banting was born on a farm, got a PhD, and saved millions, but I digress...

Borlog (sp)?

He still didn't fix the hunger issue, but whatever.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
blue said:
Frederick Banting was born on a farm, got a PhD, and saved millions, but I digress...

Borlog (sp)?

He still didn't fix the hunger issue, but whatever.
Bingo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug

During the mid-20th century, Borlaug led the introduction of his grain and modern agricultural production techniques to Mexico, Pakistan, and India. As a result, Mexico became a net exporter of wheat by 1963. Between 1965 and 1970, wheat yields nearly doubled in Pakistan and India, greatly improving the food security in those nations. These collective increases in yield have been labeled the Green Revolution, and Borlaug is often credited with saving over a billion people from starvation.1 He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1970 in recognition of his contributions to world peace through increasing food supply.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
As for words that have UFA in them:

CALCTUFA; CALCTUFAS; CHUFA; CHUFAS; MANUFACTORIES; MANUFACTORY; MANUFACTURE; MANUFACTURED; MANUFACTURER; MANUFACTURERS; MANUFACTURES; MANUFACTURING; MANUFACTURINGS; PREMANUFACTURE; PREMANUFACTURED; PREMANUFACTURES; REMANUFACTURE; REMANUFACTURED; REMANUFACTURER; REMANUFACTURERS; REMANUFACTURES; REMANUFACTURING; TUFA; TUFACEOUS; TUFAS

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
BigMike said:
As for words that have UFA in them:

CALCTUFA; CALCTUFAS; CHUFA; CHUFAS; MANUFACTORIES; MANUFACTORY; MANUFACTURE; MANUFACTURED; MANUFACTURER; MANUFACTURERS; MANUFACTURES; MANUFACTURING; MANUFACTURINGS; PREMANUFACTURE; PREMANUFACTURED; PREMANUFACTURES; REMANUFACTURE; REMANUFACTURED; REMANUFACTURER; REMANUFACTURERS; REMANUFACTURES; REMANUFACTURING; TUFA; TUFACEOUS; TUFAS
Well where the hell were ya this morning?