Quantcast

QOTD 8/2: Computer geeks, pay attention!

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
This revolutionary video game, which was one of the first to offer reliable and thrilling online play, was one of the first games to cause visually induced motion sickness in a number of susceptible players.

What is the game and year of release, for 2 points.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Online = internet or online = dial up to the other computer?

FYI, just about every single FPS on the market causes motion sickness to susceptible people.

Doom was released by id software in 1993 and allowed network play.

Quake was released in 1996 and was revolutionary in that it was the first polygon based game, and Quake offered TCP/IP based gaming.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
binary visions said:
Online = internet or online = dial up to the other computer?

FYI, just about every single FPS on the market causes motion sickness to susceptible people.

Doom was released by id software in 1993 and allowed network play.

Quake was released in 1996 and was revolutionary in that it was the first polygon based game, and Quake offered TCP/IP based gaming.

Doom it was indeed.

Bonus point:
What were the names of the level files in Doom?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
WAD files.

BTW, I don't think Doom offered true online gaming (as in, outside of LAN gaming).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
neverwinter nights was one of the first successful online games, 1991 (although rpgs suck)

you think this is a game? this ain't no RPG! ahhhh mc chris

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
UT is still my fav multiplayer game, and mario kart DD is a very close second. although sometimes it has the edge because it can easily be converted into a drinking game.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
splat said:
Actually The predicessor to Doom , Wolfenstien offered an Multiplayer game as well, and caused Motion sickness.
I considered that and did some poking around but I never played Wolfenstein multiplayer and could not find any evidence that it offered a multiplayer option.

Got a link?

splat

Nam I am
binary visions said:
I considered that and did some poking around but I never played Wolfenstein multiplayer and could not find any evidence that it offered a multiplayer option.

Got a link?

I don't have a Link , but boy do I know it did!!

When it first came out we had 3 people who ( at work ) who decided to play Multiplayer! , and it took down the WHOLE network! the first incarnation of Multi/lan player was bad! I spent 3 Hours chasing it down till magially at 5:00 everything worked OK again.