Quantcast

QOTD 9/12: before...

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
More than fifty years before Ted Kaczynski, the FBI had their eyes on another suspicious bomber. The well-known targets in these early cases counted a mayor, a senator, an attorney, and a tycoon. This bomber never managed to kill anyone, but he wounded a few people.

His targets were higher profile than the Unabomber and never really followed a pattern. However, he was never caught.

Who was he?

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
Gnurider: whoever the FBI might have been at that time.

Carlo Valdinoci is incorrect.

Forgot to add, this is a 3 point question.

not carlo?
his story is pretty similar
from wikipedia:
A series of bombings in June of 1919 sparked the FBI to more aggressive actions. The mayor of Seattle received a homemade bomb in the mail on April 28, which was defused. Senator Thomas W. Hardwick received a bomb the next day, which blew off the hands of his servant who had discovered it, severely burning him and his wife. The following morning, a New York City postal worker discovered sixteen similar packages holding enough nitroglycerin to kill a man addressed to well-known people of the time, including oil tycoon John D. Rockefeller. There were 38 bombs in all, sent to prominent figures. On June 2, a bomb partially destroyed the front of Attorney-General A Mitchell Palmer's house (The bomber, Carlo Valdinoci, succeeded only in blowing himself up). On June 3, 1919 New York City Night Watchman William Boehner was killed by a bomb which had been placed at a judge's house.
he sent bombs to all the people you listed...around the time you listed...and only managed to kill himself with a bomb, meaning he was never caught...

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
You guys are WAY overthinking this. This one is REALLY easy.

not carlo?
his story is pretty similar
from wikipedia:

he sent bombs to all the people you listed...around the time you listed...and only managed to kill himself with a bomb, meaning he was never caught...

Assuming he blew himself up...that would mean they caught him.

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
I need to stop doing Google searches for "bomber target mayor" and "bomb mayor" before I wind up on more lists than I probably already am on.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Everyone's still over thinking this one. The answer is right in front of you.

Edit:

Dirty was the closest, however Carlo was never proven to have sent the other bombs.

Again, knowing that...and previous information....the answer is right in front of you.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Wait, wait, was it you?

JK, was it Carlo Valdinoci? Ah, NVM, checked the rest of the thread.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
cmon...he blew himself up...that means he wasnt caught...you cant catch a dead guy...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'll get the tally tomorrow. BV, trust me, without posting totals, you're JUST fine.
I wasn't upset that I didn't get the answer, there are plenty of QOTDs to come and go, just thought the cut-and-dry answer of, "they didn't catch him, so nobody has assigned an identifier to him" was possibly a little silly ;)