Quantcast

qr fork not fitting qr.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Stupid question....but anyways i got a fork from a freind for free..it's a 05 DJ i bealive and it's a quicky R. But it dont fit a qr hub. I tighten down the skewer yet the wheel/hub still has play in it. Do i need a 14mm or 3/8" bolt on?

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
You do not need a bolt on, a QR hub will work just fine. Measure the inside width of your fork. It should be 110mm or 4.33" (4 11/32 roughly) and then do the same with the hub with the QR out. That'll tell you which one of the two is screwy. If they both measure out pretty closely, then you're screwy :pirate2:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
If it's got play it could be in the bearings in the hub. Sheldon Brown should have instructions for that if it's cup-and-cone.

Or, just really crank the QR skewer down and see if that gets rid of the slop between the fork and hub.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
You did this with cone wrenches and re-packed your bearings with grease, right? And you left just a tad of play in the hub (it should have a bit of play in one part of the rotation so when you crank the QR shut it goes away and is perfect).