Quantcast

QR20 same as 20mm?

Str8Dwn

Chimp
Dec 4, 2001
ATL
I have a QR20 hub for my 2002 Z1 drop off. I am looking at ordering the new Pike to replace it, but don't know if I truly need to swap the hub out for a 'normal' 20mm.

Any ideas?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Dirtbike said:
Its the same. 20mm x 110mm

Annoying sig guy is right. ;)

The only difference is that with a "regular" 20mm hub, you bolt it on, and then there are usually pinch bolts to hold on the axle. With QR20, you bolt it on, and then there are those stupid QR handles instead of pinch bolts.

I don't understand how its QR20, because you still have to bolt the axle together...... so its not really "quick" release

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
My qr20 set up has an actual quick release skewer running through it, so no tools required. Its significantly less of a pain in the ass than the axle with the allen wrench bolts. but yes, same hubs work.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
He was asking about the hub......

QR20 HUBS are different! If you are refering to the Zoke QR20 hub, the axle does NOT come out of the hub and the hub will not work with a 20mm through axle.

Post a pic of the hub.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Kanter said:
He was asking about the hub......

QR20 HUBS are different! If you are refering to the Zoke QR20 hub, the axle does NOT come out of the hub and the hub will not work with a 20mm through axle.

Post a pic of the hub.
there is a QR20 Hub? This I did not know. pics please

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
it seems like everyone is mixing up QR20 and QR20plus ... QR 20 had a proprietary hub/axle setup, while QR20plus uses a normal 20mm axle and hub with the little flaps that we have all grown to love

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
DS Dom said:
it seems like everyone is mixing up QR20 and QR20plus ... QR 20 had a proprietary hub/axle setup, while QR20plus uses a normal 20mm axle and hub with the little flaps that we have all grown to love
that's right! i had an old QR20 hub on a 2000 Z1 (i think that was the year). you could not get that axle outta there. thanks for jogging the memory.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
DS Dom said:
thanks Dom. i forgot the name.
will you be at diabloween kicking everyone ass in the dj contest?

Str8Dwn

Chimp
Dec 4, 2001
ATL
Now I am all confused. Is the hub pictured above a QR20 Plus or QR20? It looks exactly like the one I have.

This is the best pic I have of the fork/hub.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Take the wheel off and see if you can remove the axle.

If you can remove the axle it is the PLUS.

If you can NOT remove the axle it is the Zoke QR20.

Str8Dwn

Chimp
Dec 4, 2001
ATL
Thanks everyone for helping me clarify which one I have. I definitely have the QR20 Plus, which means I can order that new Pike 454! Yippee!!! The case has been solved.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Kanter said:
Is there anyway to remove the axle on a Zoke QR20 hub?
An older one?

Yes - but it means tapping out the bearing with it, which will have to be pressed back in.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ya the old QR20?

Some people dont believe that there was ever a QR20mm hub that only worked with old Zokes and the flat style lowers.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Kanter said:
Is there anyway to remove the axle on a Zoke QR20 hub?
Yeah, it's pretty easy actually, like H8R said.

You just take the set screws out of the parts that are outboard of the bearings. Then take those out and foce the axle out one side or the other. Then put the bearing back in place. You hold all the pieces together when you insert the regular 20mm axle and it all works. I can post pictures of mine taken apart if anyone is interested...

Turd Ferguson

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Burbank
Mudpuppy said:
Yeah, it's pretty easy actually, like H8R said.

You just take the set screws out of the parts that are outboard of the bearings. Then take those out and foce the axle out one side or the other. Then put the bearing back in place. You hold all the pieces together when you insert the regular 20mm axle and it all works. I can post pictures of mine taken apart if anyone is interested...

Dew it!