Quantcast

QRs for rear hub

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Surly makes a thing called the tuggnut to keep the rear axle/skewer in place so the hub doesn't slide in the dropouts. I'll be ordering one soon, but in the mean time I'm running a standard QR in the horizontal dropouts.

Any chance a QR skewer will hold under the stress of a typical ride. I played around a bit this morning and the hub/wheel didn't slide at all, but I didn't get into any real hard climbing.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
There appears to be no concensus answer. I've been researching this since I got my SS.

I think the initial torque/hammer has a bigger affect than once you get rolling.

One extreme solution is take enough links out so that you're as far forward in the dropouts as possible. If you get a flat, leave the wheel on, pull out the punctured section of tube and patch it.

Try cranking down the QR, ride hard, and report back :D

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
One extreme solution is take enough links out so that you're as far forward in the dropouts as possible. If you get a flat, leave the wheel on, pull out the punctured section of tube and patch it.

You do know that is relatively easy to get the chain off/on the front ring.:busted:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
You do know that is relatively easy to get the chain off/on the front ring.:busted:
Yes, I'm familiar with a manual derail, but why bother when the issue/concern is skewer slip? The point is a solution to tube repair without loosening anything.

I recommend red loctite.