Quantcast

Q's about Falls City.......

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Okay, some friends and I have been talking about making the trip to ride falls city. But we were wondering a few things:

What's the hike to the top like? I've heard an hour and I've heard half a day.... And once you do make that hike is everything on one trail, or do you have to hike each trail separately?

Are the trails hard to find? Will we need a local to guide us around or can we find everything with some general directions?

I've heard construction is in full swing there, so how much of the stuff is ridable?

Any help would be appreciated, we've heard a lot about how good falls city is so now we want to ride it! Thanks.

Projectpat

Chimp
Oct 26, 2004
bellingham
the hike to the very top is about an hour, maybe a bit more depending on pace. as far as i know, most everything is still ridable, but i do know some construction is definatly going on.

three trails. Bonzai downhill, Sictor gnar, and granny's kitchen. all are great fun. the latter two have more stunt work on them, while bonzai is a bit faster.

you'll be able to see most of the trails from the hike up... i wish i was going! i love falls city!

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
if you have a granny gear and a seat that can be raised you can climb the road instead of pushing it...

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Sorry Toshi, my days of full seat posts are gone..... now it's like 6 inches long..... jeez, I need to post pics of my bike.

Any salem locals with some input?

Jun 20, 2004
talk to the guys from team crazy on there forum web page mountainbikewith.us they are up at fall city every other weekend and could show you around

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
How do you get to the trails in fall city? I know there is McDonald Park, but thats XC. Or are you guys talking about Northbend?

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
There are two Fall Cities ... one in Washington somewhere and one near Salem in Oregon. I don't know nothing about the one in Washingtion, but for the Oregon version here are the links:
http://blackrockfreeride.org/mx/index.php
http://www.santiambicycle.com/
... check the message boards and photo pages.
If your coming down I-5, you will go through Salem so stop and Santiam Bikes and pick up a map.
Basically you got one road up with 3 trails down. Two go from the very top [Browns loop] - one left [Granny's Kitchen], one right [Sickter Gnar]. The other trail is near but not at the top [Bonzai Downhill]. Hiking is about an hour, maybe less, so hit the top two first and then roll Bonzai Downhill on the way out. Nothing is off the hook crazy. VERY smooth trails with well built stunts scattered about. We think of it as a putt-putt-mountainbiking course :p
They are also building a "Basic Training" area at the bottom of the hill. Lots of fun little things there too.

More questions, pm this :monkey: "sam_little" - he made the map.