Quantcast

Quadiem Bleed Problems

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hey all--

New Quadiems; a little spongy after trimming lines on initial install so I went to bleed them. Bled more than a few brakes in my time, including a set of TRP slates, so I figured the Quadiems would be no different. Have a dual-syringe kit.

But when I try to push fluid through these things, it doesn't seem like I can pass any fluid through the system no matter how hard I push. Feels like I'm pressurizing the fluid against a solid surface. I've tried different lengths of fitting, various tightnesses at both ends. (Pads out, bleed block in, lever parallel to ground...) Also tried using catch bottle at top rather than two syringes...no change.

Only done the rear so far; loathe to open up the front till I know what I'm doing wrong.

Far as I can tell, I'm doing nothing different than the manual calls for except the manual references a bleed valve to loosen, which these don't have. Internet says it left the TRP brakes in 2017. Caliper and lever both have torx-head set screws to cap off; the bleed fitting screws in once they're out. I have both long and short fittings with the correct thread; tried all permutations to no different effect.

Anyone know what might be up here? Obviously I'm doing something ungood, but for the life of me can't figure out what. Maybe they're clogged with COVID-19, yeah.

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
From Pinkus Bikus:

(https://www.pinkbike.com/news/trp-quadiem-interbike-2017.html)

1584048001971.png

The G-Spec model does see a small update for 2018, one that will make its way to the less expensive standard Quadiem as well. TRP used to employ a rather large bleed nipple that stuck up out of the caliper like, well, a large nipple. It worked fine when you needed to do a bleed, but the updated caliper ditches the nip in place of a recessed screw and now requires the same threaded bleed fitting that you use at the opposite end of the system.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It was hard to tell in my previous attempts. I can do again with a specific eye for that. IIRC I felt the top syringe plunger move a tiny bit but not like I'd have expected.

With both syringes attached, you mean, just to be sure? Or the caliper still closed?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Are you threading the bleed fitting in at the caliper? Perhaps there is an internal check valve that needs something to push a ball away from a seat.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Thought that, which is why I tried using both long and short fittings at both the caliper and the lever, but got nada. But yes, it's been threaded in; there's no other way to do it, really...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
It was hard to tell in my previous attempts. I can do again with a specific eye for that. IIRC I felt the top syringe plunger move a tiny bit but not like I'd have expected.

With both syringes attached, you mean, just to be sure? Or the caliper still closed?
Only a syringe on the caliper, MC closed.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
HAHAHAHAAAA

Ahahahaaaa
aa
aaaaaa

a
a

Yeah, so...I ride my motorcycle a lot. I should do well to remember that the front brake on a moto is on the opposite side as a bicycle.

Thanks for trying to help. This shouldn't be an issue anymore.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yeah, your description of the Quadiems in the frankenbrake thread helped me decide on the Slates I got for the RFX. Expecting even more out of these.

Just wanted simple and reliable

I absolutely loved my Shimanos but the dreaded, inevitable absenteeism drove me away.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah, your description of the Quadiems in the frankenbrake thread helped me decide on the Slates I got for the RFX. Expecting even more out of these.

Just wanted simple and reliable

I absolutely loved my Shimanos but the dreaded, inevitable absenteeism drove me away.
Just get the metallic pads.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
HAHAHAHAAAA

Ahahahaaaa
aa
aaaaaa

a
a

Yeah, so...I ride my motorcycle a lot. I should do well to remember that the front brake on a moto is on the opposite side as a bicycle.

Thanks for trying to help. This shouldn't be an issue anymore.
Been there, done that. Mid-ride, multi day trip across the Córdoba sierras. Late night, too many beers, just camp fire lighting. Pushed too hard and busted the hose off one of the syringes = DOT4 bukakke for a couple of my riding buddies.

EDIT: In my defense, this all happened after one of my riding buddies got a stuck calliper from overheating, and then other guy suggested "loosening the screw" to let some fluid off as a compromise solution. Long story short: he unscrewed the two bolts holding together the two halves of his Avid Elixir rear calliper :banana:.

Last edited:

Carnaza

Monkey
Aug 10, 2006
Santiago, Chile
I’ve bled a couple of times those exact brakes (came on a 2018 YT tues pro race) and I have the Shimano bleeding kit, which threads exactly as you describe (I used it before in a XTR caliper that didn’t have a nipple either)

the mistake you may have beed doing is tightening the fittings completely... if you do so, you’ll close the oil passing through the fitting, the same way you close the nipple tightening. Try to tighten the fitting completely and then undo it 1/4 - 1/2 a turn. It’s the same logic in the lever and in the caliper

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I’ve bled a couple of times those exact brakes (came on a 2018 YT tues pro race) and I have the Shimano bleeding kit, which threads exactly as you describe (I used it before in a XTR caliper that didn’t have a nipple either)

the mistake you may have beed doing is tightening the fittings completely... if you do so, you’ll close the oil passing through the fitting, the same way you close the nipple tightening. Try to tighten the fitting completely and then undo it 1/4 - 1/2 a turn. It’s the same logic in the lever and in the caliper

Or I could be using the calipers and levers that aren't connected to one another. (See above.) :banghead:

Thanks for trying to help me tho! (And I did try that, for the record...alas my issue was far more fundamental.)

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005

Been riding them for many years. They are super easy to bleed.You may just need to bleed the lever.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Been riding them for many years. They are super easy to bleed.You may just need to bleed the lever.
He really needs to bleed the lever attached to the caliper he's also trying to bleed at the same time.

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
I just installed a set of G-Spec Trail SLC on my brothers bike on Saturday. The caliper is the same as the Quadium and have a different lever. They come with the lever not attached to the hose and caliper. I threaded the syringe to the fitting and screwed it into the caliper. Inserted the bleed block into the caliper and inserted the bleed cup. Almost the same as the Shimano one with different fittings. Put a little oil in the cup and pulled the stopper plug from the cup and pushed the fluid up. When I got fluid to the cup I pulled the syringe and flipped the lever a bunch of times to get the air out. Then I put the plug back into the cup and put the bolt and o-ring back into place. Removed the bleed block and put the pads back.
Or you can just do a lever bleed. You put oil into the hose and fitting if you don't have the cup. Take off the screw and o-ring and thread it into the lever. Start pulling the lever and let go. The air will move up the hose. Make sure the levers are moved to be parallel to the ground. If he is in the US he can always call TRP and talk to one of the customer service reps. They are a good group of guys.
Here is the kit that I use. I do have the tell you that TRP sponsors my race team so I have support from there office. You don't need to go out and buy this kit. It's just the one we take to races and support TRP supported riders here in Utah.
Lever Bleed Video

Attachments

Last edited: