Quantcast

Quality half-shell lids with quality GoPro mounts?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Recommend me a new lid, been really liking TLD A1s, but stupid winter means night riding and the thing has no GoPro mount for my light. Been wearing my older Bell Super2 Mips, but it fits like ass compared to the TLD. The OG Super fit great, so a non-mips Super 3 is a possibility if they fit like the gen 1 Supers did.

Not super concerned with ventilation, this is mainly for winter night riding.

Weight matters since I like a light helmet and it's getting a light stuck on top which is fairly light, but not nothing.

I want as much coverage as the A1 or more, but probably not those goofy ear covers like the Fox Dropframe. Don't care about Mips, I guess it's good but I've never tried a helmet with it that stays put very well.

Preferably available from a known online shop because my LBSs take like 20 years to get a special order item in.

What say the Monkey, what am I buying?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I have a Kali interceptor. It has a great clip-in go pro mount that's nice and sleek. The helmet also saved my neck in a pretty bad crash once...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
My Smith Forefront has as go pro/accessory mount thingy on the top.

I even bought the mount in case I changed bike lights for ones that would use it - I don't see that happening so I'll gladly move it on for a few freedum tokens if you decide to Smith.

edit: Looks like there's a Forefront 2 now, that mount lists as back compatible, not sure if mine with work on the "2"...

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I just got a Bontrager Rally MIPS. It uses a BOA system to hold on, and it's super fuckin comfortable and stable. It doesn't wiggle around from bumps and rowdy sections nearly as much as any other helmet I've ever ridden. It also came with Trek's Blendr Mount, which is a stupid fucking name for a decent product that adds a pretty quick reliable gopro mount to your helmet.

It also scored 1st in Virginia tech's most up to date helmet safety tests if you care about.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So you can't like epoxy a go-pro mount on any helmet? That's what I did with my recent Smith ski helmet. Used a bunch of epoxy to help that foam glue thing. It's not coming off. I usually end up doing this anyway because most removable go-pro mounts rattle around and it's annoying as hell.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
The stick-on gopro mounts seem to work just fine. I've had one on my helmet for three seasons now and it hasn't started to come loose at all.

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I have a Kali interceptor. It has a great clip-in go pro mount that's nice and sleek. The helmet also saved my neck in a pretty bad crash once...
I dig it, gotta see if I can find a decent deal on one, and I think that's the ticket. Really like my Kali road bike helmet.

So you can't like epoxy a go-pro mount on any helmet? That's what I did with my recent Smith ski helmet. Used a bunch of epoxy to help that foam glue thing. It's not coming off. I usually end up doing this anyway because most removable go-pro mounts rattle around and it's annoying as hell.
Something about epoxy and helmets freaks me out, the TLD also has a rib running up the middle and no flat spot on the visor either. Some guys are using a little 3d printed chingas that fits over the peak and lets you stick a flat Go-Por mount foot to that. No reason not to just own another helmet, I replace them reasonably often anyway.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The Smith Forefront one is okay, but I actually got better results using a generic adhesive one, and drilling/CSKing a hole in it to bolt it on. The Smith helmet has an M5 threaded insert to make the mount super secure.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I dig it, gotta see if I can find a decent deal on one, and I think that's the ticket. Really like my Kali road bike helmet.

Something about epoxy and helmets freaks me out, the TLD also has a rib running up the middle and no flat spot on the visor either. Some guys are using a little 3d printed chingas that fits over the peak and lets you stick a flat Go-Por mount foot to that. No reason not to just own another helmet, I replace them reasonably often anyway.
Do you have a link to the thing for the TLD?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
There's no way I'd want to ghetto something with a bolt or epoxy that wasn't designed to shear in an accident. Michael Schumacher now likely being a vegetable when he crashed skiing and his helmet camera impacting the rocks did the damage to him.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
There's no way I'd want to ghetto something with a bolt or epoxy that wasn't designed to shear in an accident. Michael Schumacher now likely being a vegetable when he crashed skiing and his helmet camera impacting the rocks did the damage to him.
Good point.

My Light And Motion Seca has a breakaway point in the mount, so the fact that the baseplate is firmly fixed shouldn't matter much.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have a Giro Montaro MIPS helmet, has a camera mount but I have never used it as I am shitfully slow.
Not sure if the weight of a camera would make the MIPS thingy jiggle around more, it might act as a stabilizer, who knows?

The helmet is hot, but I'm pretty bald so if I don't want the sun to burn tiger stripes on my ever extending forehead it was one of the few pretty shitty options. The visor is also either, stupidly low, or so high it looks like you should be boarding a short bus rather than a shuttle bus.

On the plus side they are down $45 at the moment.