Quantcast

quality (rebuildable) flat pedals with concave

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
that's the one!

I'd be all over the Spanks or the OneUps iif they were concave. I've done the flat but really spiky thing for a decade and real concave just feels so much better.
Do concave pedals offer better grip, less slip? What's the point of convex pedals? I never understood the difference between the 3 versions.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Do concave pedals offer better grip, less slip? What's the point of convex pedals? I never understood the difference between the 3 versions.
I think they offer more grip, I've had non concave pedals with long pins but all they really seem to do is chew through the sole and in to the footbed, I'd rather have shorter pins and a concave on both planes.
To me the Nukeproof Horizon is pretty much perfect but I'd like them to be a bit bigger and with the pins closer to the corners.
I went Horizon, Spesh Boomslangs, Deity T-Macs and back to the Horizons as they were better than the other two, they are half the price too.
I'll probably go back to the Horizons after I get sick of the bulge on the Syntace Titans.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
You kinda just described Burgtecs
Yeah I have Mk3s and they are the most shit pedal I have owned.

EDIT- Did some hunting-
IMGP6994.jpg

The lack of chamfer on the leading edge sucked, the seal sucked so the bushing wore quickly and having two ball bearings side by side on a spindle that had sucky machining led to a pedal only lasted a few months before the pedal body flew off mid ride, hahaha!
One of the great suggestions from Dirt.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
MK3s have gotta be 15 years old.
The newer models still don't have a sloping face. But TBH I never really got the song and dance about needing a leading edge chamfer on an already thin AF pedal. Everything else about them has improved since the MK3 though. And they're pretty decent with warranty if anything does fail/fuck up/
Oh... and DIRT mag died 7 years ago! I loved DIRT BITD before it tried to cover more than just the DH/DJ scenes but they didn't print a single negative review in the entirety of it's publication and they printed "reviews" of a shit ton of absolute garbage bikes, parts and products.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I don't know how old those pedals are but I hated them so much I didn't bother chasing up spares. Not sure why but the Ti axles were machined differently to the steel ones that I had, the Tis looked a lot better.

To me the Mk5 looks worse with the bulge in the middle, as a fatty on a hardtail I like a lot of surface area and a proper concave.
I was going to get some ISSI Stom XLs but read some bad reviews and there are no spares in Oz.

Yeah Dirt has been gone a while now, it's good, I don't get tricked in to buying British junk, hahaha!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The Era when Americans bought Orange DH frames because Peaty and Minnaar could still win races despite them was my favourite.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The Era when Americans bought Orange DH frames because Peaty and Minnaar could still win races despite them was my favourite.
A track local to me was a pretty rowdy sorta track and hearing the old Orange bikes come down was hilarious, it was like they'd built the cowbell in to the frame.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The old monocoque top tube Intense M1s were just as bad in that respect but at least they worked.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Foes Mono-something and hydroformed Norco VPS were strong contenders as well.

On the other hand, I am always amazed at how quiet most bikes are these days.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Shimano and Bosch took that into account and designed a clutch rattle into their most recent motors that kicks in when the bike is freewheeled over rough ground so all us old guys could buy Ebikes and re-live our gnarly youth.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Foes Mono-something and hydroformed Norco VPS were strong contenders as well.

On the other hand, I am always amazed at how quiet most bikes are these days.
Is Foes still around? In the era before the M1 I used to want a Foes Weasel haha.

Not sure if anyone remembers the model but they did this crazy bike that ran a 2:1 shock ratio, and then put a bloody Curnett shock on it so it had the small bump sensitivity of a hardtail with 60psi in the tyres.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Lawd those things are yuge! :eek:
They feel *very* concave, and I shortened the center pins to accentuate the sensation. Feels like wearing a pair of comfy slippers. I just worry they will be atomized with roxx in no time.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'm sure I checked before and they were smaller than the size large CrankBros Stamp 7's I've got on a couple of bikes.

Edit: yeah, 110x105 versus 114mm x 111mm

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Why are those TENET pedals so popular?
They are exactly the same size as a T-Mac but with less concave, Deity isn't a palindrome so maybe that's it.
1654902227263.png

I loaned my T-Macs to a friend and somehow he got the pedal body to fall off then did bad things trying to fix it.
Seat tube angle on my bike was too steep for the T-Mac, couldn't get comfortable on them.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Why are those TENET pedals so popular?
They are exactly the same size as a T-Mac but with less concave, Deity isn't a palindrome so maybe that's it.
View attachment 177529

I loaned my T-Macs to a friend and somehow he got the pedal body to fall off then did bad things trying to fix it.
Seat tube angle on my bike was too steep for the T-Mac, couldn't get comfortable on them.
As one of the Tenet evangelists, I actually did order a pair of the T-Mac and returned them. They do have a really similar shape (good) but I liked the color of the grey Tenets better than the pewter T-Mac, and the Tenets are cheaper plus come with the first rebuild free. T-Macs are a bit heavier too for those who care.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Wut?
Your seat tube angle is too steep for flat pedals?
Yup, 76 deg STA on a hardtail then losing 20mm of parallelogram put my foot back too far, felt horrible.
Coz I'm a fatty I can't slam my seat all the way back or I bend rails and the seat post head hits the bottom of the seat.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yup, 76 deg STA on a hardtail then losing 20mm of parallelogram put my foot back too far, felt horrible.
Coz I'm a fatty I can't slam my seat all the way back or I bend rails and the seat post head hits the bottom of the seat.
I just watched a guy on a Unicycle with flat pedals trials ride some incredible terrain without issue. All until i explained the seat angle thing and he fell off immediately and exploded in a fireball.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I just watched a guy on a Unicycle with flat pedals trials ride some incredible terrain without issue. All until i explained the set angle thing and he fell off immediately and exploded in a fireball.
Was it an E-Unicycle?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
So, some acedotal facts for those interested in the Tenets. Bottom line: skip the expensive Omens unless you have a high-BB e-bike.

Now that I have both the US-made Omens and TW-made Occults, it's interesting to see the differences. The Occults are more visually appealing because they are slender, with obviously more time spent in the CNC machines, the Gunmetal finish is also looking much better than the plain flat Purple of the Omens. But the differences are quite measurable, too (apart from the $185 vs $115 price tag):

- I weighted the Occults at 410g/pair vs 450g/pair for the Omens
- the Omens are thicc! This pisses me off as they aren't advertised as such. The Occults are 17mm thick, the Omens are 18.5mm thick.

My takes are 1) they tried to save on CNC machining time with the Omens, 2) the Omens are way beefier, possibly to prevent expensive warranty replacements?

If I could do it again, I'd skip the Omens, sorry Tenet.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Oh... and DIRT mag died 7 years ago! I loved DIRT BITD before it tried to cover more than just the DH/DJ scenes but they didn't print a single negative review in the entirety of it's publication and they printed "reviews" of a shit ton of absolute garbage bikes, parts and products.
Fuckin cunts stole your products tho