Quantcast

quality (rebuildable) flat pedals with concave

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
OK – after recently swapping to some cheap DMR V12 emergency flat pedals when my Xpedos wore out in under a year, I'm done with non-concave flat pedals.

The DMRs weigh more than the rest of my bike, so I'm looking for some nicer modern flat pedals that still have concave.

Also, reasonably sized (sz11 shoes), reasonably thin, and are rebuildable (No budget wellgo brands with inner side bushing that I can't find and probably don't have the tools to replace).
No composite, no magnesium.

What do you guys like?

I swear there was a thread on this within the past year but Ridemonkey search results only show stuff from 2006.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Thanks I will look at the ANVL and Vaults, but I think all DMRs have that inner bushing. I'd love a thinner v12 that has an inboard bearing.

I don't like magnesium any more because the set of Xpedos I had before the ones I just removed cracked in multiple places on both pedals due to stress rather than impact. I'm not heavy and dont do big shit, but they couldn't hold up, and I feel guilty throwing components in the garbage after 9 months.
I also have a theory that the inner bushing develops play faster on mag pedals but I could be wrong. Mags aren't really up to super rock terrain imo.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I ride a low BB bike (29 frame with 27 wheels, 12.8" BB height with 160/150mm travel) in chunky New England and the Mg Vaults have been beaten to crap, yet they've been holding fine.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I would never run anything from Xpedo, that was likely the problem. I ran a set of mg wellgos for years and they are still kicking around somewhere.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'm pretty sure Wellgo makes Xpedo, HT and the dozen or so US and UK brands that use identical spindles and inner bushings. But I agree – the mag Sprys simply aren't up to how many miles I'm doing on rocky terrain.

Finding comfy and grippy concave peds with an easily replaceable inner bearing due to how much I ride is my main concern. For the first time in a really long time I'm wearing out derailleur pulley bearings long before I destroy the mech itself.

https://www.velonews.com/2014/11/bikes-and-tech/factory-tour-wellgo-and-its-10-million-pedals_352430

Last edited:

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
that's the one!

I'd be all over the Spanks or the OneUps iif they were concave. I've done the flat but really spiky thing for a decade and real concave just feels so much better.
i've used pin height to mimic concave with more success than not.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Hope f20
They have an inner bushing
Here's how you deal with it,
Use a tap to thread into the bushing, then pull a little and it comes right out like butter
But first use your lathe to make a piloted driver with a shoulder to stop it at the correct depth.
Then extract it with the tap, and driveroo the new one in.

They are sealed well, the pins are indestructible, and when you leave out the center pins they are concave.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
...Vaults, but I think all DMRs have that inner bushing...
Can confirm. However durability and longevity were never an issue for me (dry climate. 175 lbs). They had been hit and dragged over rocks so many times they look like bare aluminum. I wore out a bushing after like 4000 miles, but otherwise, I've never had to to service them except for replacing bent spindles.

IMO, solid option if you prefer large platform and don't mind its thickness.

I'm currently trying Kona wah wah 2s. I think the Vault felt a bit more concave and grippier but WW2s aren't too far off. I opted for composite but the aluminum version has identical shape. Bearings both end.* Pins are standard M3 x 10mm sockethead screws, so easy to find replacement or change length.

* - correction: apparently aluminum WW2s have some weird bushing/thrust bearing thingy on the outside while composite WW2s have sealed bearings both ends.

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
whatever you do stay away from thin HT pedals, the thrust bearing is in the little cup on the end and not in any way sealed, and will fill with junk.

Olly

Monkey
Oct 1, 2015
Thanks I will look at the ANVL and Vaults, but I think all DMRs have that inner bushing. I'd love a thinner v12 that has an inboard bearing.
The Vaults do indeed have the bushing. On my particular set it's been a weak point, but other people I ride with (admittedly on newer pedals) haven't had the same problem. It's very easy to change using their service tool, but IIRC they don't sell the bushing on its own - only as part of the full service kit.

If you get a set, make sure you loctite the pins. They have a habit of falling out...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

i'm still partial to my spank spikes btw

Annoyed that my original Spank Spikes need a service to one of the bearings and bushings, but the kit is out of stock on Universal and I'm not sure if the newer model year kit is a different size bearing and bushing...

edit: they are 7 years old and on my DH bike.

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I really like these Kona WahWah II pedals. They are insanely wide and long. The extra width is noticeable wrt pedal strikes but I wouldn’t say they are holding me back – I never have pedal strike issues while descending unless I’m too tired to be riding and lazily drop the back pedal.
Aluminum body and steel cap screws seem trustworthy, as does the large inboard bearing.
They are just barely concave, like most modern pedals that claim to be concave, but the size and the lack of center pins make them as comfy as the seriously concave DMRs.
Bigfoot dudes really need to check these out. I wear size 11 5.10s and feel like these pedals were designed for at least that. Do not buy these pedals if you use narrow shoes or have under size 10 feet.

Attachments

Last edited:

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Resurrecting an old thread. It’s the most recent one I could find on flat pedals.

This is best $100 I’ve spent on my bike in a long time. Tenet Occult pedals. Comes with a full set of extra pins and washers and a socket to take them apart for a rebuild. Decent concave, huge platform and plenty of grip. 10/10 so far.
8F567B44-C253-41A2-AA53-C6C474242B41.jpeg

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Bumping a thread.

After busting a set of alloy oneups while on a bike trip I picked up a set of the Crank Brothers Stamp 1 large composites as a cheap replacement from a bike shop to see out the trip.

I like the larger platform than Spikes and OneUp's. So I fitted a set of the Stamp 7 large to my new DH bike and just mounted up a set of the same Stamp 7's to my trail bike to replace the temporary low end Stamp 1's I'd picked up as emergency replacements. Seem a good size for my size 13's as the 114mm x 111mm is bigger than anything else I've seen (apart from those really long platforms that I can't remember the name of)

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Resurrecting an old thread. It’s the most recent one I could find on flat pedals.

This is best $100 I’ve spent on my bike in a long time. Tenet Occult pedals. Comes with a full set of extra pins and washers and a socket to take them apart for a rebuild. Decent concave, huge platform and plenty of grip. 10/10 so far. View attachment 148739
I've now had some time on my Occults and my experience mirrors schwaaas. You also get a free rebuild, although methinks its gonna be awhile for these foot pans. Would/will bang again - although good luck finding these pedals right now.

The NSB pedals look baller too, but they be a little pricey.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I'll play.
Let a set of older gen NP Horizons go with a bike I sold. Big mistake. Had 2 sets on different bikes and have to say they felt great and looking back now they were insanely durable. Not 1 rebuild in the years I had them and they never developed any play.
Picked up a set of the new NP Horizons and while they seem ok I prefer the old gens. I defo clip my pedals more which must be down to the change in shape and size. Still seem pretty durable 1+ year on.
Recently picked up a set of Vaults and while the platform feels really nice I am not convinced about the build quality. I do not like my pedals to spin super 'freely', and the one pedal has developed some play and the bushing in the other keeps coming out, pushing the seal out with it. Stripped and rebuilt 3 times and will return under warranty if it happens again.
Along the way I picked up a set of locally (UK) made Steele Industry pedals and what a load of shite. Inside bearings failed super fast and an outside bushing wore out. Couldnt get replies for parts/support. Upside is that I found out I really dislike pedals with inside bearings and prefer flat platforms. So One Ups would not work for me.
Looking to try Burgtech MK5s and Hopes are also on the table. Both come at a premium price though.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Anyone tried the Issi Stomp XLs yet?
I'm tempted to have a crack at tapping some threads right out at the corners of my Horizons. I emailed Nukeproof to see if they were ever going to make a larger Horizon but they said that it wasn't planned.
1625216543612.png

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Chromag Dagga's are another option.
Ridiculous grip!
Same agressive pin height as the oneups but not convex like the oneups.
Daggas are great if you want absolute max grip.

I really like the feel of the new NSB Daemon, but I only have a couple rides on them so far.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I keep coming back to Chromag Scarabs and Synths (plastic version of the Scarab). Body size and placement are good for my wide-ish stance and wide feet; they're concave and easy to rebuild. Just spent a season with the plastic one-ups on my trail bike and never liked the feel. Now I'm back on the Chromags and much happier.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
plastic one-ups
I have those on my trail bike and have no real issues with them so far... but I am looking for aluminum pedals now and the one-ups have this huge bearing that I didn't like on previous pedals.
I have Superstar Components Nano generation something are not the grippiest and also Nukeproof horison which have good grip after changing the pins to smaller ones but one pedal seem to have suffer from a wet ride and is not turning so freely anymore. British design for the win, haha!

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Another vote for Tenet pedals. Have one set that has been my favorite so far and has taken a real licking over the past year on both my everyday bike and my DH bike. Just got another set cause I like them so much.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Mainly personal taste. But also a little vanity.
I don't like super grippy shoes or pedals as I like to be able to reposition my feet without ever lifting my shoe soles from the pedals and prefer to "feel" where my feet are rather than the vauge feeling thicker/stiffer soles such as 5:10s give so I generally ride in Etnies or Vans skate shoes rather than sticky soled mtb shoes. The vanity thing comes in from never ever wanting to be seen wearing dorky looking cycling footwear.

MOAR pins doesn't necessarily make a pedal gripper. And centre pins just fuck up the concave and pedal feel through your shoes. Plenty pedal designers have fucked that right up. Burgtec didn't

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
And I prefer slightly LESS grip.
I too prefer less stick so I can reposition without having to consciously lift and move my foot. I've found 5.10 to be too sticky and the Ride Concept shoes are working well for me right now.

As for pedals. I am loving the Canfields. Their convex and it is the right shape for me. I been wrapping my toes over the edge of the pedal to bunnyhop since I was 12 and the convex shape actually works with that arch on my foot rather than against it.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Having finally found a pair of RCs that I like (Tallac), I finally get the "less grip can be better". Their rubber is a bit less grippy, but with Tenets it's still plenty to stay on in rocky sections. Where I'm liking the less grip are flat loose corners where it really makes sense to put a foot out. With Impact Pros and Tenets if I didn't get my foot back on perfectly first try, it would drive me nuts, to the point where I'd hesitate to foot out. With RC/Tenets, I can roll my foot on the pedal easily to readjust, so am not concerned about getting foot placement perfect first go.