Quantcast

Qu'est-ce qui se passe?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Whats been happening? What have I missed? Not a hell of a lot by my scanning the last couple of pages...

Got back from working on a canal barge on the Canal du Midi in the south of France. Nice time too. Hot as hell, but beautiful.

The boat was a 100ft canal barge from the 1800's that sleeps 6 passengers. Nice boat really. I was expect fat, old, rich Americans, but what I got were nice Americans (yes, they were rich, but not fat or old). Had a good time with them actually. Interesting folk.

Managed to catch the Tour de France as it went through Narbonne too. Cool. Spent Bastille day in the Carcassonne region which was awesome.

The Canal du Midi

Such an historic and beautiful area.

View from one of the locks

A lock system where the barge can gain or lose altitude. Cool system. Working for more than 300 years, so gotta be good.

In front of my kitchen.

The only food pic I took - Home cured salmon on pickled cucumber with smoked salmon roe, peach & white balsamic syrup and creme fraiche foam.

All pics from my phone camera, but who cares, no camera will capture what the region was like anyway.

I never knew the canal system in Europe is so immense! It is possible to tour the entire continent on one of these barges (if you were so inclined!). I met people who spend their lives on smaller barges and have been as far as Russia on the canal system.

More info on the boat, region etc here

Good to be home though. Own bed and all that...

Last edited:

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Did you serve the 'Mericans any 'Freedom Fries'?
Nope, I forced top quality French and Mediterranean food down their gobs...:biggrin:

Poor bastards, having to eat fresh Foie Gras, wild mushrooms and farm cheeses and drink fine Languedoc wines...

They never knew what hit them!

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Nope, I forced top quality French and Mediterranean food down their gobs...:biggrin:

Poor bastards, having to eat fresh Foie Gras, wild mushrooms and farm cheeses and drink fine Languedoc wines...

They never knew what hit them!
Sounds nice - when I become a rich American I want you to cook for me too :biggrin:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Sounds nice - when I become a rich American I want you to cook for me too :biggrin:
Was just checking the prices at the chalet from the link in his sig. Certainly doesn't look like you have to be very rich to enjoy his hospitality. Very reasonable I thought.:thumb:

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Was just checking the prices at the chalet from the link in his sig. Certainly doesn't look like you have to be very rich to enjoy his hospitality. Very reasonable I thought.:thumb:
Cheers mate. I don't want to attract rich tossers, so we keep the prices fairly competitive.

I know of chalets who overprice, they don't have as much fun as we do...

I like 'normal' folk.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
I would pretty much be drunk the whole time I was on that barge (vacationing, not working). I'd just get ****ty watching the countryside go by.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Cheers mate. I don't want to attract rich tossers, so we keep the prices fairly competitive.

I know of chalets who overprice, they don't have as much fun as we do...

I like 'normal' folk.
Even with the strong euro those prices are still good. My sister lives in London so I do have a reason to get over to Europe on occasion. Might have to get a cheap Ryanair flight to somewhere nearby and come for a visit. Looks lovely there.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Damo it looks like you've got a good life.

Skiing in the winter, DH in summertime, and cooking for people who appreciate your culinary abilities.

It saddens me when I see a shopping cart at the store full of tv dinners, sodas, other processed foods and nothing that needs to be prepared.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Remember, this ain't my pad... I was just working here...

But by all means, come on over. With enough people, we could mutiny and storm the boat. Then what could they do?