Quantcast

Question about 6" travel SC forks for all-mountain riding.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Anyone here use a 6" SC fork for general XC and all-mountain riding? I haven't been really keeping up to date on the 6" SC forks as far as weight goes. Ideally I'd be looking at something that has a 1-1/8 steerer and probably from 2003-2004.

It'll be on a FR hardtail at first and then put on a full suspension frame sometime next year.

It would be great to see if people have pics.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
my (6") flick was a great trailriding fork. not super light, but great bang for the buck. i've always liked tpc damping. gosh... it may even be up for sale...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I can't upload a picture because that feature seems like it is fried right now (wierd error messages).

I have a marzocchi AM1 that I converted to 20mm by installing Z1 FR lowers. AKA the "ZAM1".

I can't think of a fork that better suits my needs for trail riding. 5 to 6" of travel, ETA helps immensely on climbs by locking the fork down and leaving a little give, the TST damping settings can be used to lock it out, or increase the low speed damping (kind of like a platform). You can also adjust the TST to be full open and the fork is very plush in that setting. I can also adjust progressiveness by adjusting oil height on the travel-adjust/ETA side. With the 20mm interface, I must say I am very happy with this fork and can't think of anything that would suit me better at this time.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
I just rode my new '05 Z1 for the first time today, I like it. The ETA kicks butt, though I wonder if the oil levels are low because the rebound adjustment doesn't seem to change anything.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Jm_ said:
I can't upload a picture because that feature seems like it is fried right now (wierd error messages).

I have a marzocchi AM1 that I converted to 20mm by installing Z1 FR lowers. AKA the "ZAM1".

I can't think of a fork that better suits my needs for trail riding. 5 to 6" of travel, ETA helps immensely on climbs by locking the fork down and leaving a little give, the TST damping settings can be used to lock it out, or increase the low speed damping (kind of like a platform). You can also adjust the TST to be full open and the fork is very plush in that setting. I can also adjust progressiveness by adjusting oil height on the travel-adjust/ETA side. With the 20mm interface, I must say I am very happy with this fork and can't think of anything that would suit me better at this time.
That is really cool. I've been looking at the AM1 and wish they made it in 20mm. Nice.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I've been going on some long xc rides on my 6" 2001 as-x with 05 Flick + lately. It climbs pretty well with the fork in 4" mode, then obviously is awesome on the flats and descents with a twist of the rta to 6".

I was initially unsure about going 6" on this bike since I use this bike for so much climbing, but I'm very glad I did.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Marz z150 here Eta is awesome locking the fork in the COmpressed position really makes great for climbing..... little problem if ya like spring feel then it weighs as much as a 888...... thats right its an 8 pounder can get a 5 pounder in the sl version but it feels terrible..... The newer version though i am unsure of teh wegiths it is now called the Z1fr and its still a 150 mm fork..... marz says its the same fork with new lowers.........no more QR 20 design..... the Z150 is tough as Hell too...... You will be amazed at how thick the Steerer is also remember its Very tall for a single crown fork i gaine nearly three inches of height when i went from my pyslo with 5 inch travel to this...... not too flexy not to twitchy and atm i use it racing at Southridge Usa... Works greta there for me.....<IMO>DOnt try and tune it with the Air assist just have whoever you get it from order it straight from Marz and give then your ride weight and style theyll tune the Springs and oil to that...........itll give ya an awesoem feeling SC fork
________
Iolite Review

Last edited:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
OGRipper said:
That is really cool. I've been looking at the AM1 and wish they made it in 20mm. Nice.

yeah they had the pro's on them at sea otter. I switched mine over for a bit but didn't really notice a difference...D

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
I ride a Z150 now for trails and DH. Sick fork. Really fun.

The new 06 66rc2x is the way to go if you have the $ and are planning on doing more aggresive stuff.

Otherwise a Z150 or the Z1-150

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
A huge vote for the fox 36 talas RC2. If you ride one you will never want anything else on the front of your rig. I have mine of my imperial and it is unreal. I ride with mine in the shorter travel settings a lot but have also cranked it up to 6" for trailriding and lending the bike to friends to try DH. If you have the money there is no better fork to spend it on.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
DirtyMike said:
Marz z150 here Eta is awesome locking the fork in the COmpressed position really makes great for climbing..... little problem if ya like spring feel then it weighs as much as a 888...... thats right its an 8 pounder can get a 5 pounder in the sl version but it feels terrible..... The newer version though i am unsure of teh wegiths it is now called the Z1fr and its still a 150 mm fork..... marz says its the same fork with new lowers.........no more QR 20 design..... the Z150 is tough as Hell too...... You will be amazed at how thick the Steerer is also remember its Very tall for a single crown fork i gaine nearly three inches of height when i went from my pyslo with 5 inch travel to this...... not too flexy not to twitchy and atm i use it racing at Southridge Usa... Works greta there for me.....<IMO>DOnt try and tune it with the Air assist just have whoever you get it from order it straight from Marz and give then your ride weight and style theyll tune the Springs and oil to that...........itll give ya an awesoem feeling SC fork
I was really thinking of the z150 although I'd want the SL version just because I don't want too much of the added weight. What did the SL version feel like to you compared to the heavier version?

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
The '05 Z1 is a little heavy at 5.5 Lbs (especially considering the 8" Foes F1-XL on my DH rig is only about 6.5), but I like the fact that it's 20mm.

That's a good idea on changing the AM to 20mm.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
For an iron horse 7.3, the only 7 inch fork right now, is the 66 (whch is taaalll).
So I am thinking about using a 6" fork.

There is the 66 6"which is tall so it would give it a proper head angle.

The fox 36 looks burly, but light.

I am going to dh race, freeride, and to trails, so I am going to climb.
Right now my biggest drop is 6' maybe. It may get to 15' (I have no idea).
I do some techinical trails like Tunnel in santa barbara, but also like fast flowy/ trails.