Quantcast

Question about a 2001 Jr.T brake arch and fork lowers

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
A buddy has one of these forks and his arch is broken. Apparently a local shop said they could order the arch for almost $300cdn. What I seem to remember is the arch and fork lowers were actually press-fitted together somehow and then anchored in with the v-brake bosses. Is it possible to get just the arch or is the shop referring to getting all new lowers? I also seem to remember people saying that you could theoretically seperate the two (arch and lowers) and reassemble them but made a weaker fork overall.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
The arch is a bonded sleeve fit, with the brake bolts keeping everything together. I've pulled apart my SuperT (same lowers), and rebonded it using a sleeve bonding compound (Loctite 680). It is possible to pull the old brace off, replace it with a new one, and stick it all back together... I doubt it'd make it a weaker fork if you use a bonding compound. I'm pretty sure it's not a tight press fit, as mine came apart by hand relativcly easily (only needed a bit of wrestling, nothing straining), and wasn't hard to slip back together.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
ChrisRobin said:
A buddy has one of these forks and his arch is broken. Apparently a local shop said they could order the arch for almost $300cdn. What I seem to remember is the arch and fork lowers were actually press-fitted together somehow and then anchored in with the v-brake bosses. Is it possible to get just the arch or is the shop referring to getting all new lowers? I also seem to remember people saying that you could theoretically seperate the two (arch and lowers) and reassemble them but made a weaker fork overall.
I would just save up a little cash, and pick up a new fork. You can actually pick up a Jr. T or Super T for pretty cheap these days...

I've seen both in the $275-$350 (US) range. Personally, I don't think I would push my luck with that fork...

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
you can get the arch replaced. The arch is cryofited on there and so they have to do it. I was able to send mine in and they took care of me really well. It shoudlnt' be 300 bucks though. that's stupidly overpriced. maybe 150 at the most, but definatly not 300. your shop was trying to rip you off.