Quantcast

Question about a friend who smokes

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I have a friend who I run with 3x a week she's just starting again. Her mom died 3 years ago and she took up smoking awhile ago. Before than she would run for 1.5 hours 3x a week now 10min and her lungs are on fire she says. She says it's like burning feeling and it really hurts.
Does that ever go away? If you smoked.
I've convinced her to quit but she's a bit pissed about her lungs being this way. It's sucks to cause she could have been a pro Mt biker like her cousine Chrissy Redden.:(

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
it does but it will take a while. if she has not smoked for 30 - 90 days and has been physically active then her lungs have been purging the tar from their lining. she would know this by the horrible hacking and yellow crap that she spits up. when this happens it reveals sensitive lung tissue and new lung tissue that has merves just like evrything else.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
I think your friend should go see a doctor.

My lungs sometimes burn when I do hard outdoor cardio in cold weather, but I think that's normal.
Do you smoke?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
its all about still being active. not that that really is making it ok. but my fitness is better than many many non smokers i know.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by Acadian
when I used to live in Canada..I used to know some professional hockey players that smoked almost a pack a DAY!!! :confused:

no joke...
Ya but hockey's not really a sport!;)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
There is an ultra runner who has run a few of the same 50Ks as I have. He smokes about 1/2 a pack a day, the bastard beats me by about 5 to 8 minutes in each race. :angry:

He is 10 years younger but... he SMOKES!!! :angry:

As far as burning lungs go, I have never smoked but my lungs burn whenever my effort exceeds 95% of max. For me that is the last mile of a 10K or any mile faster than 6.5 minutes.

While attempting to determine my MAX heart rate last year I maxed for the last 1/4 of a 6:16 mile, moving at a sub 5 pace for at least 50 yards. The pain in my lungs was so intense I became dizzy and saw white light, and then I puked.

Blieb

Chimp
Apr 14, 2003
In Yo Face!
Originally posted by JMAC
I have a friend who I run with 3x a week she's just starting again. Her mom died 3 years ago and she took up smoking awhile ago. Before than she would run for 1.5 hours 3x a week now 10min and her lungs are on fire she says. She says it's like burning feeling and it really hurts.
Does that ever go away? If you smoked.
I've convinced her to quit but she's a bit pissed about her lungs being this way. It's sucks to cause she could have been a pro Mt biker like her cousine Chrissy Redden.:(
She smokes and has been inactive. She has to re-adjust, it's going to take time.

I haven't smoked in almost a year now (was about/over a pack a day) ... I don't notice any hinderance because of my smoking at this time ...

After hardcore rides I do get sore lungs, but I'm pretty sure that's normal ...

Some people don't seem to be affected ... just wait 50 years ;) ... I used to smoke and play hockey ... never noticed a problem back then ...