Quantcast

Question about adjusting bar height and impact on steering feel.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I've been wondering about bar height and how moving it up or down impacts handling. I see three main ways to adjust the bar height:

1 - Adjusting the number of spacers between the headset and the stem.
2 - Swapping the stem for one with a different degree of rise.
3 - Switching to a bar with more or less rise.

In the past, I've noticed that running the fewest number of spacers under the stem has resulted in the most stable feel. However, on my trail bike, reducing the number of spacers (or removing all of them) puts the stem low relative to the saddle, which leads me to want to either get a stem and/or bar with more rise. However, I'm concerned about how switching stems and bars would impact the handling. Are there some general rules for what to expect when changing the rise of the stem or bar? Say I wanted to add an inch of total rise, am I better off changing the stem over the bar, or vice versa, or does it matter at all?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
from a purely statics stadpoint, it doesn't matter which way you change it with respect to feel or input force. However, handlebar bends do affect ergonomics and vibrations.

Kieth Bontrager had a rant years ago (probably 10) that riser bars were a bad solution for changing grip height and that the stem was a more efficient method of changing it.

Spacers are cheap and will work as long as the steerer tube is long enough.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I think ChrisKring nailed it. The actual height is easily changed by swapping the bar, but you are limited to jumps of 15-30mm and not much in between. This seems to be the least desirable option if you like the way the bike feels as you are not only changing height, but back/upsweep as well. Could lead to a totally different feel than you want if you are not careful. A stem will do the job too, but spacers are the cheapest and most tuneable of the options. I just swapped from a lot of spacers and a 30mm riser bar to no spacers and a 25mm rise bar that is also 2" wider. I notice that my weight is much more centered over the bike and cornering and skinny log rides have become MUCH easier. On my hardtail, I am running the higher rise and spacers, because I want my weight more over the back end.

Last edited: