Quantcast

Question about Bromont

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by NJMX835, Feb 15, 2008.

1. NJMX835

NJMX835 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    What is there to do at or near Bromont for the non-rider?

I was thinking of racing the Canada Cup & wanted to bring the GF along, but I also want to make sure she can stay occupied while I practice & race.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. BadDNA

BadDNA hophead

Rep/Likes:
    19 / 100
    There's a water park at the mountain if she's into that sort of thing. I wasn't really interested but I remember a bunch of shopping on the way to the mountain. I'm sure there's stuff she could find to do.

3. NJMX835

NJMX835 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I forgot about the water park, how warm is it in Canada in late May though?

I'm guessing not very, lol

Shopping is good, girls love shopping :thumb:

4. ChrisKring

ChrisKring Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 4
    The waterpark doesn't open until June. Check the schedule on their site. It is nicely located close to the lift though.

Set her up with a spa day at the Chateau Bromont for some brownie points. Montreal is not too far away (an hour). There is golf. Or my favorite, the go cart track but she wouldn't be interested in that.

PM Fraser (transcend) for good info.

5. NJMX835

NJMX835 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Hey, thanks for the info bro, much appreciated.

The spa sounds like a good idea, might have to head over there myself for a rubdown...

6. w00dy

w00dy In heaven there is no beer

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 27
    There's some great food at a brewpub nearby. Montreal is only 30-45 minutes away if I'm not mistaken. If she can't find stuff to do there she can't be helped.

7. Biffff

Biffff Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Probably about as warm as it is in New Jersey. You have to go pretty far North for it to be Cold in Late May. For those not in the know: Canada does not mean "The North Pole" We are not Eskimos and we don't live in Iglos. We Generaly have the same climat as the Northern States, and we have stores to unload our Women at while we go biking.
    Have fun at Bromont. I'd be more worried about the communication issue. You may want to brush up on you're french. They speak French in Quebec, not American.......I mean english.

8. nh dude

nh dude Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 6
    it was cold and rainy at the last canada cup. most of em speak english they just dont want to. i find that thet phrase "hablas francies" gets you no where.

9. General Lee

General Lee Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0

No igloos, but Bromont can substanially colder than Jersey that time of year. I've skipped the Bromont Can. cup the past 2 seasons in favor of the opening Diablo race (an extra 4hs away and more than 300 miles farther South) becasue the weather has been much drier and warmer. The last few years it has been cold and rainy and in '05 it was even snowing a bit at the summit just before my race. Doesn't mean it won't be warm and sunny, but the possibility for foul weather is still pretty high at the beginning of May.

10. NJMX835

NJMX835 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Didn't mean any offense bro, it ain't waterpark weather in late May here either, so I figured it wouldn't be any warmer 5 hours north.

By the way, are beaver pelts still an accepted form of currency up there? j/k :biggrin:

11. Biffff

Biffff Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    None taken. I'm not a Quebec'er.
    we love beaver pelt, but we stopped trading it some time ago.

12. NJMX835

NJMX835 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Taking that into consideration, is it worth driving 5 hours north if you live 5 minutes from Diablo?

I heard it was a pretty fun race though & wanted to do something different (done the whole Diablo series already)

I know the weather can be anything, but how is the race itself? (generally)

13. DIRTWRKS

DIRTWRKS Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    The race itself is well run and well attended and this year it's on a brand new course which will also be used for the World Cup race here so were not sure what to expect ?

14. John P.

John P. Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    I've done the race up there a couple of times, and it's good fun. I think I last did it in '05 and once before in '03 or something. The weather SUCKED both times (I had some dude offer me $200 for my one piece $30 rain suit in '05, and it was so cold/wet I didn't even consider it), but the courses were tons of fun and plenty difficult.

They offer a ton of practice time, which is nice - I think we got in a half day on Friday, an entire day on Saturday, and a couple of runs before the race on Sunday morning. For the most part, they run everyone down the same course (with a couple of safer sections for the beginners/sports) and all practice times are open to all classes. This can be pretty fun, but it can also mean that if you're a middle-of-the-pack hack expert like me, you'll have some pros coming up on you really fast.

So basically, if you don't mind the likelihood of nasty weather, it's a great time. Other than the race course, Bromont has loads and loads of great trails to play around on, so that's another bonus.

Hope this helps,

--JP

15. NJMX835

NJMX835 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    So I guess other than the possibility of bad weather it looks like it's worth the hike up north.

Thanks for the info, hopefully the weather is good this year.

16. BrokenSpoke

BrokenSpoke Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    theres the spa and a few stores near the high way. or worst comes to worst montreal is about 1.3 hours away. for sure she will find something to do there. Or get her a nice pair of hiking shoes if shes into walking all the way up the mountain.

17. mntbiker2

mntbiker2 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    i posted this in this thread!

18. TGR

TGR Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    -2 / 3
    it's not 100% sure...
    the track will probably be modified for the world cup and the canada/quebec cup is probably gonna be on another trail

19. DIRTWRKS

DIRTWRKS Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0

Well I think that UCI rules dictate that a National series type race must be run on a course before they will hold a World Cup race on it.

Also why do you think Sam Hill and other WC racers are going to be at the Canada Cup in Bromont, they obviously want to get some time on the race course before the WC.

20. NJMX835

NJMX835 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Can anyone recommend a good hotel there?

I called Chateau Bromont & they are sold out for Saturday the 17th already.

21. Curious_George

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    expect to pay alot

22. NJMX835

NJMX835 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Most of the places I looked up so far were either kinda ****ty, expensive or both, lol

Chateau Bromont said some organization had a good portion of the place reserved for the night of the 17th.

Eh, early bird gets the worm & all that...

23. DIRTWRKS

DIRTWRKS Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Try and look for something in Granby which is the next major town Northeast of Bromont. It's only about 10 miles away.

24. NJMX835

NJMX835 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Good lookin' out, I found a couple places that might be cool.

If I didn't have the GF with me, I could stay anywhere, but I hate to drag her all the way up there to stay in a motel 6, lol

25. Mc.Dub

Mc.Dub Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    For lodging check out this link, it's straight from the Bromont website. Ignore the prices as they are for ski season etc. But you get a good idea of what's around. Star rating and all. I stayed at the Chateau Bromont for 5 days once. Very nice indeed.

http://www.skibromont.com/skien.asp?langue=e&sec=2&page=230

Try this link too.

http://www.skibromont.com/veloen.asp?langue=e&sec=1&page=43
    Montreal is 50 minutes to an hour away. Well to Downtown. Granby has a zoo, lol. There is some shopping nearby but not a lot. like others have said. There are some hiking trails and a golf course if that's her thing. Not sure if it's private or not.

26. Transcend

Transcend My Nuts Are Flat

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    The Chateau is nice, but probably has a conference that weekend and will be expensive.

The Canada cup will be on the World Cup trail as the trail has to be broken in prior to a world cup. Expect to see some...out of town guests...racing that weekend.

27. davetrump

davetrump Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    like me, hahahahahaha

28. ridiculous

ridiculous Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 1
    while were on it, hows the riding up thre. Some friends and I were thinking about spending either the week before or week after the WC race up there. Is bromont worth riding for a week especially that close to the race date? Thanks in adavance.

29. davetrump

davetrump Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0

yes... you will not get bored

the week before the wc might not be the best though as there is a world cup at mount st. anne the previous weekend and everyone will be in bromont monday, with practice starting on thursday

there will be a TON of fast riders in town hanging out for a few days, but i am not sure how the race and the days leading up to it will effect trails being open/closed

30. ridiculous

ridiculous Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 1
    so probably best to ride the week after and stay in Montreal? I see that season passes are only $140 which is cheaper than buying lift tickets for the week. Am I looking at something wrong?

31. Transcend

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Nope you are correct! They used to be $115, but the price went up as they are opening up the backside of the mountain this year.

32. davetrump

davetrump Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    season pass is the way to go for sure... otherwiser it is $35 a day or something

and you would be better off the week after the WC, as you will have the place to yourself midweek

33. Tmeyer

Tmeyer Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 1
    What will the backside consist of? I know they ran the other lift with the bike attachments but the terrain was nothing to spend time on, granted it looks great for some more building. Frasier, do you know what they have planned for the backside?

34. Transcend

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Well, the world cup course for starters...

35. dirttastesgood

dirttastesgood Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 0
    I found it to be the opposite. My French is pretty good but I'm not a very fast speaker so I'd say 95% spoke to me in English just because it was faster.

36. A.P

A.P Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    They had a a-line jump trail back there which was fun for a run to take a break. Otherwise the other stuff back there especially towards august/september was super blown out.

They were excavating a ton out back towards the end of last season, looked like they were creating a super wide monster of a trail, perhaps the start of the WC course? Or maybe spectator viewing area?

37. vincent

vincent Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    2 / 10
    The "backside of the mountain" is actually the Versant du Lac wich consist of the 51 (pretty easy trail but so fun to push your limits in, all burms no rocks really), the 52 (a-line style but no BIG jumps), the 53 ( takes a part of the 9 that is now "bulldozed" and gets you to the 51 and 52) and the WC track that isn't finished yet. The trails on this side of the mountain are not the nicest Bromont has but they are more into investing on easier trails:disgust:.
    I'm a trailbuilder and often feel a bit frustrated to not go the way I want to, I know the budgets and I know they can do pretty much what they want.

38. wiscodh

wiscodh Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 59
    vincent,
    i was actully glad to see more eaiser type trails there. Its a good way to get friends and a gf started dhing i think.
    i love bradogmont, so fun.

i was stoked to see how much work did get put into that place last year. I was happy, cant wait for the snow to melt.

39. vincent

vincent Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    2 / 10
    I completely agree with you on the necessity of easy trails but I just hope we could put as much effort into hard downhill trails.

40. Mc.Dub

Mc.Dub Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    So what else can you tell us oh great and wise one.
    seriously.

I'm trying to get my pass for the $99 special when you buy the 08-09 ski passes, and it's not working, sigh.