Quantcast

Question about dual to single switch

justinsroy

Chimp
Apr 2, 2009
Thinking about picking up a jamis parker 1 from the local shop in the near future and been doing my homework about the single/dual ring suggestions/reasons and overall benefits.

Gonna be using it for a more downhill/freeride use.

I have a street bike (recumbent for my back problems if i ever wanna do 10-20+ miles XC) and really dont need the second ring if i pick up the parker and feel that the weight could be lighter, more clearance. and i really dont need all the gears the 2nd ring gives.

The real question i have is: Is there a hassle-free way to switch it from a dual ring that it comes as to a single ring setup? (dont do much maitnence and not the "mechanic" of my group).

Im just curious if i have to pick up a new ring and switch out the dual and fix the other mechanical issues with a new ring getting put in? (would probably end up either having a buddy take care of it or just get a family friend at the bike shop to do the work on it).

Thank you in advance for any help/tips and tricks.

Last edited:

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
You would need the ring, a derailleur, a shifter, and a cable. The chainguide on there would need to be removed. Most people switch from multiple to single rings so you can probably find the shifting components pretty cheaply. If that labor is cheap for you it's not a big deal.