Quantcast

Question about fake carbon fiber

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I know this is random, but I figured I would start here. Does anyone know where you can get a mesh sheet like carbon fiber or graphite that can be used ith fibergalss resin?

I was thinking about doing something cool like speaker pods in my truck and instead of straight fiberglass, use something like a fiber cloth that looks like carbon fiber. You know, like SRAM and other companies use on parts?

I use the normal fiberglass mesh, but you loose most of the look when finished. If I could find a grey mesh or something, that would rock (maybe). Thanks.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
most of the import car hoods and fenders you see made of carbon are actually carbon overlayed on fiberglass for looks. Carbon is relatively inexpensive for raw materials it is the molds and construction that costs the most $$$. You can lay carbon weave over just about anything and resin it. good luck!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Originally posted by punkassean
most of the import car hoods and fenders you see made of carbon are actually carbon overlayed on fiberglass for looks. Carbon is relatively inexpensive for raw materials it is the molds and construction that costs the most $$$. You can lay carbon weave over just about anything and resin it. good luck!
That's what I'm looking to do. I have done a ton of fiberglass work over the years, but then just cover with fabric of some sort, or carpet. I thought it would be cool to use a carbon weave fabric, then resin it with glass. I will check around locally, but I can't seem to find anything good online. I was thinking I could find it like in a raw matrial like the fiberglass weave, only grey for that cool look the kids go for these days :D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Originally posted by Andyman_1970
I had some cf laying around the ol' cube here at work.

I assume you are talking about this stuff:
YES! What is it and where can I get some? I need like 2 or 3 yards. Everything I am finding is rigid sheets. I need fabric. If it works for the pods, I was going to use it to make my door pannels.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
On that link above I found bidirectional woven cabon graphite for about $25 a yard, this is fabric not rigid sheet.

There is two different styles of weave the plain weave and the 8 harness satin, the 8hs is about $15 more a yard and from my experience harder to wet out and work with.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Thanks a bunch. I might try that, or look for a glass cloth that looks like it. I don't need the strength of carbon at all, just the look.

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
if you are a competent fiberglasser, you can use carbon fiber in fiberglass resin. wont be any stronger than fiberglass tho. but i agree with the fiberglass with a layer of CF on top if its for looks.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Originally posted by SebringMGB
if you are a competent fiberglasser, you can use carbon fiber in fiberglass resin. wont be any stronger than fiberglass tho. but i agree with the fiberglass with a layer of CF on top if its for looks.
That's what I'll be doing. Should work out nice. If nothing else, it's different. And if it sucks, I'll just cover it with cloth or carpet and no big loss. Thanks for the input everyone.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I find fiber glass to be stupidly easy and cabon to be stupidlt hard, i use allot of fiber glass on my boat.

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
cf is harder, because the cloth is more rigid.... so if you are doing crazy compound curves, its harder to get it to lay in flat, which is why you used molds or infusion with cf. if you are laying it on by hand, i find it far easier to work with a more open weave... so look for that. you can get black resin tint for the layers underneath, so the glass wont show through the open spots in the cf weave. since its for looks... try your hardest to keep out air bubbles, that way when you are done, if the resin looks like ****, you can go back, and do a sand and polish and make it look better. keep in mind... the les curvy your box design, the easier it will be and the better it will look.