Quantcast

question about FOES

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
i'm going to be test riding (to possibly buy, for pretty cheap) a 2001 foes zig zag in a few weeks. anyone have any advice/info/reviews of this frame? i don't have any details about the current setup of the bike, but i'd like to use it for DH/FR/MX type of riding. i'm not familiar with the FOES line of bikes and especially the bikes from 2001.

of course, i will be really getting the feel for the bike when i get a chance to ride it, but i wanted to get some advice from some folks that have already ridden it are are familiar with it.

thanks.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
ehhh, I wouldn't really use one of those for any sort of DH or FR - for one, you wouldn't be able to get the seat up for climbing (super-slack and no room for any extra length on the post), also it's a short-travel deal (3-5" I think), good for racing 4x/slalom but I'd tend to say that's about it.

Slalom bikes tend to be purpose-specific, so adapting one for DH or such doesn't seem like a hot idea. But then again, I haven't ridden one so take that for what it's worth.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
Slalom bikes tend to be purpose-specific, so adapting one for DH or such doesn't seem like a hot idea. But then again, I haven't ridden one so take that for what it's worth. [/B]
yeah, i think i'll get a real idea of how it handles and what kind of riding it can handle by taking it out for a test. i'd like to pick up a more DH/FR specific bike, but don't want to dish out a whole lot of $$ right now and this thing sounds like it's versatile enough to use for more than just slaloming... but, that's what i want to know from people that have it or know about it. what kind of riding they think it's suited for and what it can handle?

whether or not it's perfect for what i want to use it for, i think picking up this ride for under $1k might be worth it regardless.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well, one thing to be aware of when buying a FOES that's a little older. I had an '00 DHS and couldnt get parts for it when i needed them.
Foes basically said, you're SOL, so make sure you're aware of that.

i had a 02 foes zigzag...be aware, i think the pre 2002 models had a weaker shock mount...and a few broke there. but for 4x/slalom...the frame was amazing! made jumping almost effortless. very flickable but felt stable in the air. the only drawback was the frame weight...a tad on the porky side, thats why many foes pro-racers went to the FXR for 4x/slalom. like DBR said, its a pain to trail ride on...but it would be fine to downhill on, if you wanted a bike to DJ and freeride. the angles are fine. with a good 5inch adjustable travel fork, i don't see why you couldn't, i did when i had mine. the only drawback is that it is a singlepivot bike, so you get suspension lockout when braking heavily. if the bike is in good condition and a good price, i would buy it.

PM me if you have any more questions

fireman

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Boulder, CO
I can't say anything about the zigzag but foes warenty/service department was top notch. they fix my cracked 01 DHS tube and painted it for 200 bucks, never had any problem even though I was the 4th owner.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
Originally posted by fireman
I can't say anything about the zigzag but foes warenty/service department was top notch. they fix my cracked 01 DHS tube and painted it for 200 bucks, never had any problem even though I was the 4th owner.
wow, that's pretty sweet. i'll try and get in touch with foes to see if they offer any service/warranty for the 2001 zig zags, just in case...