Quantcast

question about gaps

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
When you build a jump or drop and you have to build a tranny or landing as well, how do you gauge how far away from the jump to build it? Does somebody just guinea pig it and land flat so you know where to build the landing?

Yea, haul balls at the lip, let them hit it and go as far as possible eat it and then build a landing there.

When you start building start with small stuff so you can see how proper lips are built and what they do when they are certain heights, lengths and shapes and build a landing with an angle that suits the type of lip. Knowing how to build a jump with proper landing depends upon how much speed is available with the space. You always want to have the jump built up with a legit landing before even thinking about guinea pigging it. Once something is built you need to know if its a race style jump or a poppy type of jump, know the speed needed...its a big list of things that need to be known to build something proper. Hang out with some more advanced riders/builders to learn. I know no builder is gonna say no if you offer to shovel if they will teacdh you a thing or two about proper building technique.

If thats not availabe, build it, hit it, rebuild it and adjust it and learn how it should be hit

RideRMB

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
'Da Hood
Make a moveable (wood) takeoff or landing so you can adjust as you get more comfertable hitting bigger stuff.

Frontrange pretty much summed it up. When you have hit enough jumps you can pretty much gauge how far you can go given the speed you can get from the terrain, slope of the take off, etc..

I measure my distance on gaps by bike lengths from take off to landing. I know how fast I need to go to clear one, two, three and so on bike lengths when the lip and landing are the same height. The tough ones to judge are the big drops where the landing is much lower then the stunt. Always helps to have a hucker with you on these and let them guinea pig it for you:crazy:

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
word, bike lengths are the way to do it. i think in the real world it's a more accurate measurement then feet/meters.
sizing up a gap is an eye you just have to develop. it comes with time. in the meantime start small so when you guinea pig it, it doesn't hurt as bad, or ask a buddy to come down and give you a hand...