Quantcast

Question about pricing a used frame for sale......

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I have only ever sold complete bikes, so I have a feel for what a used complete bike should be priced like. This will be the first time I'm selling a frame only and I'm lost on what to ask for it. It seems like used complete bikes that are only a year old usually sell for about 50% retail cost. Do you think the same applies to a frame only sale? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Who makes it, & what condition is it in ?
Size sometimes makes a difference how fast it sells..?

There are soo many ways to decribe what condition it may be in..Just be honest & say it how it is.Any others like yours for sale ?

Put in the ad "make an offer". Of course you will get lowballed,but it's a start...

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
ATOMICFIREBALL said:
Who makes it, & what condition is it in ?
Size sometimes makes a difference how fast it sells..?

There are soo many ways to decribe what condition it may be in..Just be honest & say it how it is.Any others like yours for sale ?

Put in the ad "make an offer". Of course you will get lowballed,but it's a start...
I never put "make an offer." If you do you spend way too much time sifting through crap e-mails asking if you would like to sell your $5000 DH bike for a "P3 and $200."

I figured the same rule of thumb applied, and then adjust from there for condition, market saturation, ect, but I just wanted to check. Like I said, I've sold tons of complete bikes so I know the drill, just never frame only.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
MtnBikerChk said:
check ebay's closed auctions and see if they've sold something similar recently.
That really is true for anything you want to sell (that's able to sell online). If you see that the average for a Fox Float RL rear shock is $140 (range's from $100-175) take a look at the condition of yours, the age, and upkeep and price it accordingly.

Frames on the other hand are a little more tricky. Depends how old it is, the brand, the condition etc.... I'd never pay half of retail on a 2002 model frame. I say 1-2 years it should be priced at roughly half, 2-3 years a little ess, 3-4 years less and so on and so on.

Plus if you price it wrong it won't sell and people will whine and complain about it. But do it right, and you'll sell it in no time!