Quantcast

Question about road cleats and pedals.

henrymiller

Monkey
May 4, 2002
Denver-A-Go-Go
So I got a deal on a set of used Sidi on ebay, only $15 shipped. They have the removable adaptor plates so you can change what type of cleats you want to run. I have no clue what type of adaptor plates are on my new shoes? I plan to purchase a set to 105 or Ultegra pedals and need to know if the current adaptor plates will work or what type of adaptor plates I need to buy. I never knew there was anything other then SPD.

Or, any other ideas for first time road pedals?

Road shoes are stiff and slippery, nothing like my mtb shoes.

Thanks

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
three-bolt pattern for SPD-SL (105, ultegra).

They have three rubber contact points, so with the rubber heel tab, walking or standing at a stop light won't be an issue.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
What they said, I like the big 105 cleats/pedals. Unlike look Pedals, the shimano stuff has the pads built right into them so, like Opie said, walking stopping at lights ETC isnt an issue and you wont need covers to take with you. I also know alot of road riders that ride Mtn shoes and regular SPD on the road so they are more comfy walking around and such. not sure myself how much semse that makes, personally i really like the feel of the larger cleat, gives a bigger platform and feels better under my foot

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I have the look pedals, they're a bitch to walk in.....and the plastic cleat doesn't last as long as I would like (prolly from walking in them).

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
If I might suggest (and I am not really a roadie...I have a road bike and ride it)...try the Crank Brothers Quattro SL Road Pedals. I put them on earlier this season and I LOVE them! They are very easy in & out and I have no difficulty putting a foot down or walking in them as they have plenty of rubber contact with pavement.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
By the way, since people are making suggestions. Get Time RXE Carbons. We all know there is no other manufacturer of pedals besides Time. :D
No, those things blow. Well, maybe they do. I have the RXS carbon Ti's and they broke where they hold the front of the cleat in when I was clipping in once. They still work, but I have some new DA's on the way.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
How old are the cleats??? I have had no issues. Never the less. Send me your old pedals. :thumb:
Not the cleats, those are fine. The pedal snapped. I haven't come out of them, but still. Also, the pedals developed play after only a few hundred miles, and it bugs me.

But to the OP. Yes, those shoes will work with Shimano, or pretty much any modern pedal.