Quantcast

Question about Shimano DX cogs

afroboy

Chimp
Oct 23, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
Hey,

I have been trying to determine whether or not Shimano DX cogs (for their BMX cassette hubs) fit regular 8/9 speed Shimano compatible hubs. A picture I saw of one did not lead me to believe that they use the same spline, but 24seven apparently uses them in their conversion kits. Has anyone ever used a DX cog on a regular 8/9 speed hub?

Along the same lines, do any of you know of any singlespeed conversion kits (consisting of spacers and cog(s)) for regular hubs available in Canada, or perhaps through QBP?

Thanks!

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I think the DX cogs will work on a standard cassette body. I have some at home and I'll try to remember to check. Look back here next week.

Surly sells a 1-speed hub converter. Retail price is around $50 USD. IMO it is better to build a wheel using a real single speed hub. The Surly hub is roughly the same price as the adapter kit they sell and is a flip-flop design allowing for two gear choices.

http://www.surlybikes.com/

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Yes they do fit shimano hub. They look diffferent as they have no large spline. They don't have a large spline as they don't need to be posistioned in a specific way to aid shifting unlike regular cassette cogs.