Quantcast

question about some parts...

hey, i have a iron horse yakuza aniki and i was going to upgrade it in the next few months. i was originaly thinking about getting a DHX 5.0 and a Travis 150 single. BUT then i was thinking there really isnt a need for a full 7" of travel where i live (nothin big enough around here) to use it all and i am using it for a little freeride and mostly dirt jumping and around town too (there are some jumps and what not in town) i was thinking maybe a shock that has a little less travel, and a fork with around 130 mm of travel which is what the fork has now. any suggestions? here is a pic of my bike as well.

any suggestion are welcome.

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
I don't know if you can really change the rear travel just by getting a different shock. If you got a shock with a shorter stroke it may give it a little less travel. But for a fork i would suggest going with something like a Marzocchi Z1 or 66 and just keep it stiff for dirt jumping.

metalhead119042 said:
I don't know if you can really change the rear travel just by getting a different shock. If you got a shock with a shorter stroke it may give it a little less travel. But for a fork i would suggest going with something like a Marzocchi Z1 or 66 and just keep it stiff for dirt jumping.
thanks. well i asked about the rear shock cuz the roco is like 3" of travel with 9" I2I and thats what my bike is and i doubt that it has 7" of travel as is with the rear shock thats on there now, and thats just pretty much a pos. its a XFusion Glyde R or sumthin like that i believe. and i was just kinda leaning away from a 66 cua it may be a little too much depending on where it get it (im on a generally tight budget). but if i have to i can get one. any other suggestion are welcome.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Jensonusa.com has the Z1 for $420 right now.

If you cannot decide, just ride what you have now for a while longer. Later you will (hopefully) have more $$$ and a better idea of what you want.

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
z1 or like a pike with the u-turn would be sick. but on the rear shock, and upgrade to a dhx or roco or whatever would not only improve the feel, but it would give you that travel, it would be a good idea

Robusto

Monkey
My friend has an Aniki, and he was thinking about getting more travel out of it. He already has a 170mm DC on it now. Regarding the rear shock, I heard somewhere that a 9x2.75 will give you 7" of travel. Can anybody confirm this?

sickbullit

Chimp
Feb 23, 2006
Or go with a Marz DJ III...

since they have a QR, you could even use your exisisting front wheel.

They can be had pretty cheap in the 130MM size, and can take some serious abuse for a QR fork.

flat broke

Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, CA
Yes,

Going to a 9"x 2.75 shock will give 7" of travel... Safely. The Aniki and the Ojiki use the same frame, but the Ojiki uses a 9x2.75 MetalR shock where the Aniki uses a 2.5" stroke shock to accomplish the 6" travel. I woudn't bother spending money on a spring for the cheesedick shock that's on the Aniki. Save up some $$ and watch Ebay for a decent 9x2.75 shock setup.

Good luck,
Chris

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
as your riding skills progress you will find your self using more and more of the travel
This is not necessarily true.
If you find yourself wanting to ride more dirt jumps, you'll want less, stiffer travel and stronger parts. A Marzocchi DJ of some kind would probably serve your purposes well. As for the shock, on a bike like that, keeping it low travel for DJing and urban would be a great idea, but a better quality shock would certainly serve you well. Santa Cruz has 5th Element coil's in the 8.5x2.5" size for $99 new. People can e-hate on the 5th all they want, but they work for the large majority of the people that have them. RM is not the majority. I would suggest that you pick one of those up as it might alter the geo nicely (not positive that you won't have clearance issues though). All told, that's well below the price of either a Roco or a 66. Save the extra money for some good tires, or spend it on upgrading to a 20mm front wheel/fork.

kiwiintexas

Chimp
Nov 30, 2005
I have just put a %th element on my wife aniki, made a huge drifference plus i changed out the fork for the 170mm sherman single crown with the 1.5 steerer tube. The bike is plush as now.