Quantcast

Question about specialized

Dirt Demon

Chimp
Sep 5, 2009
Florida
Hey guys new here and lookin for some info. I've been looking at the specialized rockhopper comp and was thinking about picking one up here before to long however I was talking with someone recently who was telling me that specialized used crappy parts to keep the price down and I'd be better looking at an older model. Does anyone have experience or input on the new models? How is the front shock? That is one thing he singled out as below par. Thanks.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
There is no simple answer that covers a large company like Specialized.

They make the bikes for World Champions for both road, XC, and DH. My nephew has a Hotwalk for toddlers and I have an Enduro SL as well.

Specifically for bikes around $500-700, the issue becomes name vs value. Every bike company has a mountain bike in that price range, but my experience as a sales manager is that you tend to pay more for the big names like Specialized and Trek than the secondary companies like Diamondback or KHS.

FYI, all the $500-700 mountain bikes are made by two companies in the Pacific Rim. While there are slight differences in frame design and look, basically they are all the same bikes.

What I think matters is the shop you buy it from. Let's say you go to the local family shop who doesn't know mountain biking. You keep getting a squeak from the brake, and they you to buy a new bike.

A mountain bike shop might recommend switching to a disc brake, rebuild your wheel with a better rim, or several other options.

Dirt Demon

Chimp
Sep 5, 2009
Florida
Thanks for the reply, that was insightful but didn't quite hit on what I'm looking for. I'm basically just wondering how the parts on the 2010 rockhopper comps stack up. Are the parts on this years model inferior to previous year?

Jameez

Chimp
May 19, 2009
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the reply, that was insightful but didn't quite hit on what I'm looking for. I'm basically just wondering how the parts on the 2010 rockhopper comps stack up. Are the parts on this years model inferior to previous year?
Your better off listing the major parts that are on this bike, and how much they are hitting you for the bike. This way someone here can help as far as the quality of the parts versus the price total. Some bike shops do swap parts off new bikes and put lower grade parts back on, just to make an extra buck. Just a thought....

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
what Sanjuro told you should answer your question. regardless of year the parts will reletively be the same with some minor differences that you won't recognize. the only exception being if say Specialized switched from Shimano to Sram but even at those price points it's still no big deal. unless you prefer trigger shifters to say grip shift. i work for a big box sporting goods store and i go thru this with people on a daily basis. trying to get someone who doesn't know anything about bikes to understand the small differences and how they dont make much of a difference can be a task at times. my only other suggestion is if you have a particular past model in mind your looking at then post those parts along with the 2010 stuff and we can go from there.