Quantcast

Question about T2/Sportoworks rack....???

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Hey guys,

I have a question about the sportworks/T2 rack.

I have a swagman.......something or other rack that is similar to a sportworks/T2 except it holds the bike at the downtube. I still have it but the thing would rattle bad in my trailer hitch, to the point where it had to be held down with tie straps.

My dad's looking into getting a T2 rack or if we find a used sportworks one of them. I told him it's really the only hitch mount, DH worthy rack out there that you buy one and it lasts a long time. He has a 2" hitch so I can get the 2" instead of the wimpy 1 1/4".

I'm just curious.......does it rattle much in the hitch? I know that we plan on getting a locking pin for the hitch as well for the bikes but it drove me nuts watching the rack sway around on the back and clang away against the inside of the hitch.

I also know Thule says $360, is that the MSRP for it?

Spunger said:
I'm just curious.......does it rattle much in the hitch? I know that we plan on getting a locking pin for the hitch as well for the bikes but it drove me nuts watching the rack sway around on the back and clang away against the inside of the hitch.

I also know Thule says $360, is that the MSRP for it?
it doesn't rattle at all.

you can find it on sale, but it's rare.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149461

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Spunger said:
I hear ya, $341 is the lowest I can get it shipped to my door and that's through a who knows who Ebay deal.

Thanks though, good to know it won't rattle :)

It won't rattle cause you bolt it in...

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
chicodude said:
It won't rattle cause you bolt it in...
So is it ment to stay on your car all the time or with the locking pin deal you can remove it? It's not going on car but my dad's SUV. I'd hate to see it get rear ended or "bumped" by a moron and ruin a $400 rack.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Spunger said:
So is it ment to stay on your car all the time or with the locking pin deal you can remove it? It's not going on car but my dad's SUV. I'd hate to see it get rear ended or "bumped" by a moron and ruin a $400 rack.

Its just a 13mm bolt thats pretty easy to remove....

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
with 80 ft/lbs of torque on the bolt the rack isnt going anywhere. i love mine, best of all, i got it cheap since i got it through the shop i work at.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
The rack is pretty solid. The "hitch pin" is replaced with a bolt. This pulls the rack sideways and holds it tight. Then you tighten the 1/2" anti-wobble bolt to remove any lingering up and down play.

I don't leave mine on as I have to keep my car outside and I'd like the rack to last a long long time. Also, it's heavy and makes my wagon sag.
I can install/remove the rack in under 5 min. Having another alternative like a roof rack for quick solo trips is nice.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
I was reading in the other post about the T2 (where to find it cheap LOL) and it seems like a good investment to get the locks for the rack & the hitch. I've seen some people get the whole package for $370-380 shipped which seems like a good deal!

I know my dad had an issue with just leaving it on 24hrs a day, 7 days a week. I imagine it's not the lightest thing in the world. He has a s-10 blazer (2001) and it has the factory roof racks and we thought about that route as well but it's not all that much more or less to just do a hitch mount. I was amazed at how much a quality roof rack costs. Granted I know Thule and Yak. racks are the better if not the best ones out there.

That's good to know it won'ts sway though. My cheapy rack I imagine if I got a different pin it'd work fine but at times I hated clamping by the downtube and at this point I don't think I could clamp my DH bikes. It's great for regular bikes but get something big on there and it's just a piece of junk.

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
Spunger said:
I got bumped last week :mumble: and aside from wanting to kill the other driver, there was no damage to the rack or my hitch. it's a very solid rack.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Eastern Mountain Sports is having a sale until July 4th. 20% off a T2 brings it to $288 (plus shipping if you don't have a local store).

toby

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
MtnBikerChk said:
I end up taking mine off when I'm not using it because it makes getting into the hatch impossible. But you'd have that problem with any rear mounted rack.

It goes on and off very easily.
You would not have this problem with the rear-mounted T2.

My T2 stays on 24/7, and I have no trouble opening the hatch on my Pontiac Vibe at all. Without a bike on the rack, there is no obstruction at all.

Even had 2 bikes on the rack yesterday, lowered them away from the vehicle by releasing the pin, and was able to open the hatch with the bikes still on the rack.

My T2 is on a 1 1/4" receiver. There was minimal movement side to side when I installed it, so I cut shims of aluminum can and stuck them in the sides. Voila, no movement.

sunny said:
You would not have this problem with the rear-mounted T2.

My T2 stays on 24/7, and I have no trouble opening the hatch on my Pontiac Vibe at all. Without a bike on the rack, there is no obstruction at all.
I cannot open the hatch with the rack in the driving (up) position (with no bikes on the car). And by hatch I don't mean just the glass - I mean the whole back door.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
MtnBikerChk said:
I cannot open the hatch with the rack in the driving (up) position (with no bikes on the car). And by hatch I don't mean just the glass - I mean the whole back door.
I didn't even think of this. Right. With the rack in the up and locked position, you can't open the hatch. Move one lever, however, and you can open the hatch.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
sunny said:
I didn't even think of this. Right. With the rack in the up and locked position, you can't open the hatch. Move one lever, however, and you can open the hatch.

Or... if you owned a cool 4Runner, all you'd have to do is roll down the glass in the back window and load up!

:D

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
N8 said:
Or... if you owned a cool 4Runner, all you'd have to do is roll down the glass in the back window and load up!

:D

Or, A cool pathfinder, and you can just open the back window and load up!

I love my T2, very solid. It just got runned into in the parking lot at work, kinda my fault because I left one of the arms folded out when I took my bike off, but all that happened was it bent a $12 hook