Quantcast

Question about the Dallas area……

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Well, the wife said that she could transfer to the Dallas area if we wanted to move there. There would even be a chance that I could keep my current job. I’m not even sure if this is something that am interested in, so I’d like to ask a question or two in regards to my “recreation”….keep in mind that I have never been there, but it’s much more affordable then where we are currently living…..

Looking at a map the place looks to be a flat as a pancake. That would be a serious downer to our mountain biking and snowboarding. Is there anyplace close to ride (downhill preferred) or board? How far are the nearest mountains? It’s hard to tell this stuff from a map and only people who are into this type of stuff will know the info I’m after.

Thanks!

akaeasy_j

Chimp
Sep 23, 2003
Frisco, TX
Dallas is flat, no doubt about it, but there are some good riding options. We have a pretty big crew of riders who downhill and "freeride". Pretty good urban scene, numerous bike friendly skate parks and tons of dirt jumps. There is pretty good dh within 3-4 hour drive (arkansas/oklahoma). There is also a race dh race series in Arkansas. Our crew also loads up and makes road trips to New Mexico and Colorado for some lift assisted DH stuff. The Austin area has a couple of small dh courses and a pretty good 4X course. El Paso has some great DH as does Amarillo. There is also lots of good xc trails if your into that. As far as boarding, you would prolly have to head over to new mexico or colorado. If you have any specific questions, shoot me an e-mail akaeasy_j@yahoo.com
check our www.rogueposse.net or www.southerndevilz.net

good luck with your decision

ez

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO
I have just come down to the big D to spend the winter riding.
This has been my experience:
Twin Parks in Austin has a 1minute DH run that is fun, but not super technical. They also have a nice 4X course - not my forte. And DJ's - my DJ bike gots stolen - so I have no personal experience on how they are set up.
I have been hearing about Arkansas and checked some videos out - looks cool - 2-3minute DH runs from what I understand.
I like XC - always have and always will. I have ridden a few trails around Dallas and they are super fun. I just like cruising single track and winding around trees and I was pleasantly pleased when I started riding the trails here.
My idea of FR is not concrete - in fact it kinda scares me, but from what I hear, it is here. (Easy-J: Let me know if there is some non-concrete features anywhere in the area.)

As far as the snow, nothing. American usually has a bunch of daily flights to Vail airport during the winter. Hop one and get your fix.

Oh, and it was 70 degrees yesterday, Feb 2. Imagine what it is going to be in August. I can tell you from many years past- HOT.

akaeasy_j

Chimp
Sep 23, 2003
Frisco, TX
for the non-concrete stuff, page AddomG on the RP site and ask about Crawford Park. I'm not sure if any of the stuff is still there, I heard most of it got torn down, but he could tell ya for sure. Also check out Zboaz park in Ft. Worth, same story, I think there are a few stunts left out there, but you may post up and some of the funkytown boys could tell ya for sure. Oh yeah, if you wanna drive a couple of hours into oklahoma, there's a crew outta tulsa that goes pretty hard and has some nice stunts

You can find out more about those trails at www.tulsafreeriders.com

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Thanks to those who replied! I need to tag along with my wife on her next business trip out there so that I can check things out....