Quantcast

Question bout hubs

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
I'm no expert, but all the "loud clicky hubs" are usually expensive.
Hadley, Chris King, DT Swiss ... loud, high quality, expensive hubs.

Cheap ones, like the one I'm using are Azonic and others.

For the most comprehensive list I've found anywhere, check out Universal Cycles.
http://www.universalcycles.com/

You'll find lots of expensive and cheap options there.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
Bikeworks hooked me up with a burley, affordable wheelset for my Knolly. Basically no-name hubs, but I saved a bunch of money that way. SAS Halo rims, super affordable, super strong.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
all he wants is loud...he doesnt care about quality...LOUD people...rate the noise of your hubs...

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
I have a Hayes hub (basicly a rebranded Hugi Onyx) and it is super loud. People constantly ask me if there's something wrong with my hub when they hear it freewheel cause its so loud. It has also been very dependable, no maintenance and its been running strong for three years now. The Onyx is DT Swiss' mid-line hub so it should be cheaper than a Hadley, King, or Hugi 440.

May 13, 2006
Olympia, WA
I just laced up a set of novatecs for my new rim build. The LBS told me they were azonic knock offs. They are doing fine right now, but I have only ridden them once. They were 200 a pair. They also make a loud clicking nose during free movement.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
I run Ringle's. My Demo9 had a Ringle, and that bike saw 60+ days on Whistler, and it never had 1 issue, and its still running stong at Whistler this year (sold it to my buddy, who is riding it this year).

When I got my Demo8 last year, I built up a new wheelset for it, on a rear Ringle, and its running like a champ this summer.

Ringles might be a little heavier, however they are tough as nails, and are loud hubs.

Hadleys are supposed to be just as strong, if not stronger, yet lighter, and have more engagement points, which is always a bonus.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Yeah, I second the Ringle in terms of loudness lol. My Demo is much louder than my buds Hadley when we ride together. It sounds like a ratchet...not good if you want to sneak up on someone lol....

I've had it a season and seems to be going strong.

Feb 23, 2005
Spokanada
I've beat the piss out of my Ringle on my Demo and its still going strong. I dismantle, clean, and lube it once a season and it is fine. This is my third season on it and it still buzzes like it was new.

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
I went with Saint hubs on mine so I could do away with the bending hanger issue and have a burly rear derailleur but alot of companies now make hubs that will work with the Sait derailleur. Shimano also has the Hone for those on a budget that if the freehub goes out can be upgraded with a saint freehub body. I like hubs for myself that I can upgrade as I go along Xt disc with XTR freehub bodies. etc... Since I work on my own bike and work in a shop repacking bearings and such doesn't run up a shop labor bill for me and I don't mind doing once in a while.

cm16white

Monkey
Apr 16, 2006
shoreline
i have a hadley laced to a double track rear and a formula laced to another double track but the rear is 150mm wont do me any good might sell um to you it clickes loudly