Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
I need a good MySQL GUI that will allow for

- Database viewing
- Record editing
- SQL script writing and execution
- Script result viewing
- Record(s) 'copy & paste' into Excel capability...

any open source or freeware applications that would do this for me?

Thanks! :wave:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
johnbryanpeters said:
Even a middle manager should know that Access has a GUI. Hire some help if you can't understand the answer.
How well does Access work with MySQL?

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
johnbryanpeters said:
Even a middle manager should know that Access has a GUI. Hire some help if you can't understand the answer.
Why the harshness? :nope: I'm indicating that I don't know enough to use something outside a point and click, menu driven, easy as pie GUI.

I don't have to, but I like to work in and around my database enough to keep my knowledge of the 'innards' sharp enough to delegate what I need to when I need to.

i.e. Mycon, EMS SQL manager, etc. Just looking for something similar that is free since my company wont pay for it...

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
Ridemonkey said:
But Access uses MS SQL...I don't think queries written in MySQL will work...could be way off, don't use it ever.
I'm almost afraid to comment on this since my ePenis is so huge, but here goes...

There aren't a whole lot of differences between the different SQL databases. On the most basic level SQL, is SQL is SQL. If there is an ODBC driver it should allow you to perform most basic tasks. Certainly enough for a middle manager.

Anyhow, here is a link that explains how to setup MS Access to work with MySQL via ODBC, and another link to a whole bunch of MySQL front ends ranging from shareware to freeware on Google. Of course, I haven't actually tested any of this stuff, because real developers write their own SQL.

And FWIW, I am a DBA :wave: (at times), but I heard that experience is irrelevant anyway.