Quantcast

Question for DH racers

Hack

Chimp
May 8, 2004
Portland
How would you compare sport to expert? The reason i ask is i've only done 2 dh races ( Beacon and W. Pass) and i did the drops/jumps and stuff. I love tech DH trails and can do some of the stuff at Post Canyon/ falls city. I'm not sure what i should race as. At ski bowl the sport course isn't as fun. I rode the expert course last year and it was a blast.

Just looking for some advice

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
what class did you race in those 2 races and how did you place. also are you racing purely for the course or to actually place well?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
WIM courses are usually the same for all classes, but have go arounds for the harder stuff. Hood does run you on a different trail depending on class. I'd race expert if you can handle the harder stuff. Its more fun to be challenged than to clean up on the easy trails...

Word is too this year hood will have some new sections to the expert course... think it will cut out some of the cannonball run.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
The main reason I bumped up to expert so early was for the good courses and the earlier start times. Also, racing with faster people makes you faster

whoopnar

Monkey
Sep 11, 2004
Chico, CA
Expert is a lot faster than sport. Don't use the course to judge which class you should be in. You should use your skills as the judge. Riding the course and racing on the course is completely different. Try sport first, and if you are dominating the field, make the move up.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
whoopnar said:
Expert is a lot faster than sport. Don't use the course to judge which class you should be in. You should use your skills as the judge. Riding the course and racing on the course is completely different. Try sport first, and if you are dominating the field, make the move up.
If your racing for fun, who cares where you place. If your skills allow you to safely ride the expert course, race it and work on you speed. It will take a lot longer to learn skills riding dumbed down courses, especially at WIM races

s dub

Chimp
Nov 9, 2004
kenmore
i raced norba at schweitzer last year and the beginers-sports had to race on a LAME different course, while most of the beginer/sport riders could do the expert couse which was much more fun.

Its hard to compare the two, there are alot of sandbaggers in sport. And Expert is the same but the guys are even faster :)Last year I was schooled in sport, but Im not in the best shape. It is worth it to race against faster guys, and better courses, even if you dont get top 10, its a better feeling knowing your racing some of the fastest(except semi-pros, pros!) I raced, beg, then sport, and now expert, mainly for resume' reasons and I felt I was ready for sport. But start where ever you feel you are comfortable, maybe race sport once or twice at a WIm race then change it up at a non-WIm race. just an idea. Either way, its all fun!

dirtyj

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
austin
If you think the expert course is more fun then race it. Race what ever you will have more fun on, but don't expect to do good. Most of the expert riders are guys that are trying to get in the smi pro set. U will also have guys that think that they are experts, but only get in the way of the real experts. I guess I'm referring to Durango, there was a lot of guys that shouldn't have been racing expert that got in my way. O well 10th isn't bad.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
bibs said:
yea, thats what I meant..the girl at Tullys gave me a 4 shot latte' for free...so I am freakin out!! :D And DIRTYJ I know what you mean, some guys shouldnt be there.
HAHA..

you should teach your moves from that one spokane race when someone got in the way.....

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
oly said:
HAHA..

you should teach your moves from that one spokane race when someone got in the way.....
Was that the Rotec guy? :)

Bibs must have been mad at me but couldn't find me at the time....he foud some poor defensless Rotec rider to maim. :D

If Bibs was schooled it was becuase he tries to show off and track stand at the start of his race run :eek: :p or he stops and pees mid run....I swear the boy must have a bladder the size of a pea.

RhinofromWA said:
Was that the Rotec guy? :)

Bibs must have been mad at me but couldn't find me at the time....he foud some poor defensless Rotec rider to maim. :D

If Bibs was schooled it was becuase he tries to show off and track stand at the start of his race run :eek: :p or he stops and pees mid run....I swear the boy must have a bladder the size of a pea.

ROFL!!! rotec guy!! LOL :thumb: :nopity:

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
bibs said:
Its hard to compare the two, there are alot of sandbaggers in sport. And Expert is the same but the guys are even faster :)Last year I was schooled in sport, but Im not in the best shape. It is worth it to race against faster guys, and better courses, even if you dont get top 10, its a better feeling knowing your racing some of the fastest(except semi-pros, pros!) I raced, beg, then sport, and now expert, mainly for resume' reasons and I felt I was ready for sport. But start where ever you feel you are comfortable, maybe race sport once or twice at a WIm race then change it up at a non-WIm race. just an idea. Either way, its all fun!
Yeah, there are a lot of sandbaggers in Sport. Last season I saw a couple guys I raced in Sport from three years ago still in Sport. :rolleyes:

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Just remember one thing if you decide to race expert, if you get caught (which I'm not saying you will) just move out of the way, I don't care if it adds time to your run, if you've already been caught your so far out of it that moving won't make a dif. I have been the catcher and the catchee and it's just the nice thing to do.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Bullitrider said:
Yeah, there are a lot of sandbaggers in Sport. Last season I saw a couple guys I raced in Sport from three years ago still in Sport. :rolleyes:
So? If there results and time haven't improved why would they move up? If they are riding at a Sport level why be forced to move up....especially if they are not winning. If they are constantly podiuming then you observation gains more merit.

Rhino

RhinofromWA said:
So? If there results and time haven't improved why would they move up? If they are riding at a Sport level why be forced to move up....especially if they are not winning. If they are constantly podiuming then you observation gains more merit.

Rhino
Im pretty sure thats not what he was getting too!...There were alot of riders that were or had done well and did not move up! I had noticed that too, when I was in begginer I had watched some in sport then when I was in sport they were still there..... but oh well ;)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
bibs said:
Im pretty sure thats not what he was getting too!...There were alot of riders that were or had done well and did not move up! I had noticed that too, when I was in begginer I had watched some in sport then when I was in sport they were still there..... but oh well ;)
Feal soory for the slow pokes who are destined to sit the rest of their racing lives in Sport....
<-------------see shmuck to the left. :D

Rhino "bringing up the rear" from WA

dirtyj

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
austin
You have to understand that some peps are not ready to move up. experts are pretty fast and just because that sport rider does good in sport class doesn't mean that he would do good in expert. I know some sport riders that win there races but there is no way in hell that they could even come close to an expert. If anything I would rather have them stay in sport. I hate passing peps on the trail. At every race I go to I'm passing one 2 two people in expert. That tells me that there are two many peps that shouldn't be raceing in expert. In angle fire I passed 3 people and came in 8th, so I know I'm not the fastest guy out there so I shouldn't be passing anybody in expert. Who knows If thoughs guys would have gotten out of my way I might have won or placed top 3, but two of them wouldn't get the funk out of the way.

thats tought to say though somtimes peeps crash and then you pass them. Not saying anythign negative towards you, but there are so many variables. But I hae seen many sport riders that when times are compared to expert times, they are stop 5 evry time. This type of "sandbagging" is no good. But if some one wants to race a higher clas and try to push themselves...go for it. I know of a rider that i raced against that should not have been in sport even, but i give that person credit for pushing his limits and trying. But at the same time I know how frustrating it is when you go to pass some one and they dont move at all or are way to slow. Its a catch 22, at Idaho nats, I was schooled , due to a crash..i took it so easy down and kept an eye out fo rthe next rider, and got the hell out of his way when he came. One guy was very thankfull of my getting out of his way! And Im not the fast guy out there but not hte slowest...soI can see both sides.

dirtyj said:
You have to understand that some peps are not ready to move up. experts are pretty fast and just because that sport rider does good in sport class doesn't mean that he would do good in expert. I know some sport riders that win there races but there is no way in hell that they could even come close to an expert. If anything I would rather have them stay in sport. I hate passing peps on the trail. At every race I go to I'm passing one 2 two people in expert. That tells me that there are two many peps that shouldn't be raceing in expert. In angle fire I passed 3 people and came in 8th, so I know I'm not the fastest guy out there so I shouldn't be passing anybody in expert. Who knows If thoughs guys would have gotten out of my way I might have won or placed top 3, but two of them wouldn't get the funk out of the way.
If your consistantly placing top 5 in your class, whatever class that may be, it's time to step up. You should NOT be a top placer in a class you JUST moved into.
As far as having to pass slower riders on course.....that's racing. I've passed as many as 4 riders on a long Nationals course with 20 second start intervals, it's all part of the game.

I feel it's your responsability to let the slower rider know your coming, and his to let you pass at a reasonable time.

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
RhinofromWA said:

Rhino

I podiumed with them 3 times at Snoqualmie.

SuperSlow

Monkey
May 18, 2004
Bellingham
dirtyj said:
thats true. I just can't wait to move up to smi pro and get my a$$ handed 2 me
There is a BIG BIG difference in the racing as you go around the country. You should come play with the big boys in the BC cup. Im gonna get worked this season racing expert coming from the NM/Ark races. You and any of you austin dirts have a place to crash here in B-ham.

dirtyj

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
austin
SuperSlow said:
There is a BIG BIG difference in the racing as you go around the country. You should come play with the big boys in the BC cup. Im gonna get worked this season racing expert coming from the NM/Ark races. You and any of you austin dirts have a place to crash here in B-ham.
sweet I'l definitly try t hit that up. When time comes post when the races are and will try to figure out a plain

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
dirtyj said:
thats true. I just can't wait to move up to smi pro and get my a$$ handed 2 me
Don't think thats gonna help, I passed three guys in my race a schwietzer and finished 16th...and they weren't the three who started in front of me...go figure.

dirtyj

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
austin
well when I move up to smi pro I don't think that I'll be passing anybody, but I'll probably be the one getting passed.