Quantcast

Question for East Coast monkies: Seven Springs, PA

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
Hey all, I am headed to Seven Springs, PA for collegiate nationals and was wondering if any of you have ridden there. Nationals were held there last year as well. I was just wondering what the DH/DS courses are like. If you have any pictures, they would be very helpful.
Also I run Michelin tires. What would you recommend for the course. I will bring a set of muds just incase. Should I just run 16's front and rear?

Bring the ruckus.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
We used to race NCS's there back like 97-99. It made Diablo look like the Alps! Dunno what the newer courses are like there now though.

-ska todd

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Sanjay,

Have fun out there...bring a set of muds FOR SURE...I personally thought the course was a lot like the 04 West Virginia course with more rocks. It's flatter than most courses and the key to being fast is just holding speed through akward off camber turns.

Good luck, wish I was going out there!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Yep, it is really rocky and on a real turd of a hill.
You should be safe with 2.5 Comp 16's front and rear.
Just the mention of the place makes me sad, because that place was used during the heyday of rock stardom DH racing. The pits were filled, semi's everywhere, GT had a truck tour of the company's history for God's sake, like a traveling museum.
Oh well, have fun, and pour some beer out for the good ole days. :blah:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'm not sure if there's anything going on @ Seven Springs recently, but between 2000 & 2003, there was nothing DH-related to speak of. Nothing established and basically no scene at all. Their website no longer lists biking (of any kind) as a summer activity. In the mid 90s, this was a prime XC spot. The rumor is that after some litigation over an injured rider, they canned the entire program.

Anyway, there are two sides of the mountain... the front face & the north face. The lodge is on the front-face side, where the elevation is @ most 700ft... the course will probably flow down this side. The north face side might squeak out 1000.
The dirt varies from clay to loam + roots, but nothing too hectic. In the past the course was run through a rock garden... the only notable feature on the entire course.

Overall Seven Springs is really weak.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Myles won the last race ever held there...

The beginning of the course was all in and out of the woods......was short but challenging. After the final woods section was a long pedally traverse that went on forever........Myles won in like 2:05.....i saw his final run and timed him across the traverse, he spent 45 of the 125 seconds on the traverse.....

XC guys love that place though...

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Alright, here's the low down:
Course was about 4 minutes last year, and pretty tech. Paul Smith won with a time just over 4 minutes. Big bike for sure. It starts out with a kinda quick and fast section with a mellow rock garden, then descends into a flatter, techer section with them off cambers. A little pedal or two, some faster stuff, then a really fun and steep chute. Holding speed in the tech/rocky sections is really all it is. That and don't crash more than 2 times.

Dual was kind of a joke, even though the course was kinda fun, it was ooooollllllddddd school. Think off camber turns on a grassy hillside. There were four berms total, and a fun double. You saw Shams March gap off the double onto the hillside in Headliners #1.

Bring your costumes for Sat night, and go as slow as you can so slo will win. Thanks.

p.s. Have fun and smuggle beers into the banquet. Then throw cake at FLC. Mmmm food fights.

Fshflys

Monkey
Jun 29, 2005
Need to check out FallingWater, just 30 mins away, Mr-architect student. You would be best to make a reservation, in fact that may be the only way to get in, don't think u can just walk right up, use your pro-charm, and expect to get in. But then again you if anyone might be able to pull it off.

http://www.paconserve.org/index-fw1.asp

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
How exactly do you race collegiate DH/DS/MTn X or whatever they do if your school has no races of this sort in its area? I'd like to do collegiates next year just so i can goto nationals but their really isnt a DH category around here.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Sanjay,

There is some good info in this thread about the mountain. I think dump really said it all...It was news to me that they are even holding the collegiate nationals there. I would say that the michys will work well for the course. Although it is raining right now, i dont think that mud will be that big of an issue, trails in this area (i live in pittsburgh about 70 miles west) have been bone dry all fall...The hill does sorta suck, you will do a short run through the woods, could be very rocky....then a high speed run down the slopes and back into the woods (repeat over and over).

When is the event? And is it going to be big? I might go up to shoot some pics (only 1hr away).

Again, it would be cool as hell if 7 springs would get DH going again, anyone hear anything about plans...Management sucks there, maybe intrawest can take over and then we can argue about snowshoe,diablo, and springs :rolleyes:

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
mobius said:
How exactly do you race collegiate DH/DS/MTn X or whatever they do if your school has no races of this sort in its area? I'd like to do collegiates next year just so i can goto nationals but their really isnt a DH category around here.
Andrew, here is a link to the Atlantic Coast Collegiate Cycling Conference's website.
http://www.usacycling.org/accc/
The website has results for WVU, UVA, JMU, NCSU and VT. I don't have excel, so can't check to see if there is a DH/DS in the results, but I would assume there would at least be one.
I thought that there were some schools down in your area holding collegiate races.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Sanjay,

There is some good info in this thread about the mountain. I think dump really said it all...It was news to me that they are even holding the collegiate nationals there. I would say that the michys will work well for the course. Although it is raining right now, i dont think that mud will be that big of an issue, trails in this area (i live in pittsburgh about 70 miles west) have been bone dry all fall...The hill does sorta suck, you will do a short run through the woods, could be very rocky....then a high speed run down the slopes and back into the woods (repeat over and over).

When is the event? And is it going to be big? I might go up to shoot some pics (only 1hr away).

Again, it would be cool as hell if 7 springs would get DH going again, anyone hear anything about plans...Management sucks there, maybe intrawest can take over and then we can argue about snowshoe,diablo, and springs :rolleyes:
The event will be held this weekend. I will be arriving Thurdays afternoon at the Pittsburgh airport and will be starting practice on thursday. Here is the schedule: http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=1868

The last collegiate nationals that I went to at Angelfire a couple years ago was a pretty big event, I guess at the level of what Brianhead was this year, just without the team trailers and all.

SKYWAYBUZZ

Monkey
Mar 16, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA.
Last year with the new course on the longer North Face side it sure was muddy as all heck (think thick, deep, black mud with some big rocks hidden under the mud) Some of the steep chutes were very challenging. Good luck.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
SKYWAYBUZZ said:
Last year with the new course on the longer North Face side it sure was muddy as all heck (think thick, deep, black mud with some big rocks hidden under the mud) Some of the steep chutes were very challenging. Good luck.
wow man that is some news...they never used to run dh on that side...hope they bring the program back :thumb:

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
Last year was a blast. Courses have been well described by others. One of the most fun and best run races I attended last season. Good competition with a good turnout of semi-pros. I believe the resort is getting nailed with rain at the moment and will be till thursday. Friday through Sunday is supposed to be better weather. Wet or dry, the courses are pretty fun with the right bike setup. Definitely comp 16s and muds for tires.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
manhattanprjkt83 said:
wow man that is some news...they never used to run dh on that side...hope they bring the program back :thumb:
Buzz, what event/race was this course cut for?

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
TheInedibleHulk said:
Its been raining there for over a week, not supposed to let up. See ya in the slop.
Just saw on the news this morning that it is currently snowing at Seven Springs......

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
dump said:
Buzz, what event/race was this course cut for?
yeah what the guy with the big sideburns said ;)

Ok yesterday when i said it hasnt rained much this year...i guess i sorta lied...id say the resort has seen almost 2"'s of rain in the past 2 days...and like mentioned above its snowing too...

I would still say that mud tires arent the way to go, too narrow and dont grab on the rocks.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
manhattanprjkt83 said:
I would still say that mud tires arent the way to go, too narrow and dont grab on the rocks.
Not so much. Last year I tried to ride with my regular tires, a Kenda Blue Groove 2.5 front and an Intense Edge Ex 2.35 rear, and they were HORRIBLE in the rain, mud, and rocks. Most of the rocks have moss on them, so they get really slick, plus there's only rocks in one corner, the rest of the rocks are on straights. I tried an XC guy's Hutchinson 2.1 (or mayb 2.0 or 1.9, it was something small like that) front and rear, and it was a LOT better. Instead of slipping over the rocks, you can cut a line through them. It worked VERY well. Plus, in the corners, they dug in and got traction rather than sliding on the leaves and mud. Sanjay, that might not work for you, but it did me well last year. Good luck!

SKYWAYBUZZ

Monkey
Mar 16, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA.
Hey Dump old buddy! I was up 7-Springs last year racing the "Month of Mud" XC Race Series and the college finals was also happening. I rode the "new" DH course on the North Side on my 3" travel XC bike! Comp 16 2.5 run reverse rule the mud here on the East Coast, nothing better. Man I just might have to go up this weekend to ride trails and check out the DH race action. No doubt I'll be rooting for the Sanjay!!!!

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
That's where they were last year, and we all wound up running full on mud spikes, for both DS and DH. be ready for slop.

Metal said:
Hey all, I am headed to Seven Springs, PA for collegiate nationals and was wondering if any of you have ridden there. Nationals were held there last year as well. I was just wondering what the DH/DS courses are like. If you have any pictures, they would be very helpful.
Also I run Michelin tires. What would you recommend for the course. I will bring a set of muds just incase. Should I just run 16's front and rear?

Bring the ruckus.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I have the following tires: 2.5,2.7 40D Minions and High Rollers, Michelin Comp 32's, Michelin Comp 24. I'm thinking High Roller 2.7 front, HR 2.5 rear. Will that be the best choice from the tires I have?

Fshflys

Monkey
Jun 29, 2005
Weather Alert!!! They just showed Seven Springs on the Weather Channel. 4 in of snow & still coming down. 10:00 am pst

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
bcd said:
have any screw snow tires?
u serious?

with how sloppy the ground is underneath, the mud tires will probably be perfect...

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
Yeah studs and spikes are a bit overkill especially on rocks. Wish I was going, but I'd prefer passing my classes this semester. CU will represent. :thumb:

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Ahhhh brings back good memories of the soup/mud/snow fest at the Big Bear NCS in 97 or 98 I think it was, or the first year we had a national at 7-Springs and it was a mud fest.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
dhmtbj said:
I think this weekend is going to be interesting...

Holy ****, this is going to be very interesting. I guess I am going to have to pack all of my snowboarding gear as well. I also have a pair of the old school Shimano DX winter shoes that with some duct tape might be in order for this event. If it keeps snowing, I might be able to be pretty competetive on my snowboard.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Zutroy said:
Ahhhh brings back good memories of the soup/mud/snow fest at the Big Bear NCS in 97 or 98 I think it was, or the first year we had a national at 7-Springs and it was a mud fest.
was that when they had to cut the course through the snow, that was soooo nasty :dead:

I am sitting here in pgh right now, and it is still effing pouring has been for a few days now :rolleyes:...That said i think i will be going up to shoot the event his weekend with my girlie :heart: , smile sanjay and all others...might have some good shots for you

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
Metal said:
Holy ****, this is going to be very interesting. I guess I am going to have to pack all of my snowboarding gear as well. I also have a pair of the old school Shimano DX winter shoes that with some duct tape might be in order for this event. If it keeps snowing, I might be able to be pretty competetive on my snowboard.
Bring the rock skis/boards cause the snow coverage will still be pretty crappy. :D

Watch for that big Nor'easter that they've been talking about on the news, once that one makes it down to Pit, then smashes into the storm they already have it could get really interesting. :thumb: