Quantcast

Question for engineers in here?

I know most of you guys are in the mechanical field (im in civil) but are you guys PE's or do you just have engineering related jobs? Im not even sure how important a PE is in the mechanical field. Just bored at work and curious.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
In the southern part of the US, a PE can bring you about $10k per year extra on your salary... IF you work for an A&E firm.

Otherwise, it probably doen't count for as muxh BUT it can give you access (or a leg up) to promotions etc at other 'corporate/govenment' jobs.

J

JRB

Originally posted by splat
I am an EE and my roommate in college (also an EE) got his PE, and I still make about $10k More than he does . and he had a better GPA too :)
show off

I know working in the Civil field that alot of plans are absolutly no good and cant even be submitted without a PE stamp. Is it the same in the mechanical or electrical field? Although I work for a municipality so as long as my project falls in our town limits i can do anything a PE can.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
In aerospace, it's pretty meaningless. Everything is covered by DER's (company FAA reps). So personally there's no liability against me, should something happen to fall out of the sky.

I was on my way to obtain it in Quebec. But then I switched into the aerospace field so I gave up on it. It would just end up being little more than a really really expensive magazine subscription.

should i ever leave the airplane industry for any reason. I will most likely pursue it again.

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
What you want to do.

If you wanna be a strict design guru then I say go for it it will be better on the resume.

I personally think education is an ivestment in yourself and like any investment you have to ask yourself what is the return on investment? Yes, it may add 10k to your salary (not really more like only $6700 in afetr tax dollars) , but what does it cost to get? What are the maintenance costs? I believe you need to take a class or two to stay current every year what does this cost? in money and your time? That is the questions you should be asking yourself.

I would save my time and $ and go get a MBA. A smart engineer is worth a handsome sum but an smart engineer that understands the underlying business and the business of it clients and can converse in either technical speak and business speak is worth their weight in gold!

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Originally posted by caboverpete
I know working in the Civil field that alot of plans are absolutly no good and cant even be submitted without a PE stamp. Is it the same in the mechanical or electrical field? Although I work for a municipality so as long as my project falls in our town limits i can do anything a PE can.
I think you're right. For civil guys, it seems that having that PE is much more important than the mech guys. I'm a ME and the jobs I've held the PE would not have net me more pay or job advancement.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
I know that one of the engineers in my office got his, and as soon as he did, he started wearing black pants that are 4" too short, and button down white shirts with shiny black shoes. he was a nerd anyway, and all this behavior and his newly aquired PE cert. just solidified it

what a dork :rolleyes:

Cracker

Chimp
May 10, 2002
Toronto
I just wrote my Law and Ethics test last month and should have my work experience completed in the next six months. I'm looking forward to getting it. May not get me more money at my current job, but it will for the next.

It will make my life a little easier too, I work in a manufacturing plant and do machine mods and new start-ups and often have to have one of my colleagues with a P.Eng (Canadian Version) do the pre-start safety inspection with me.

Plus my Co. has paid for everything thus far and will pay for the annual fees too. In my eyes, can't go wrong gettting more letters behing your name.

Plus I'll be a notary and can sign off on passport pictures and the like.

Cheers,
G

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Yep. Had I stayed at my first (non- airplane) job, they would have paid for my P.Eng. But since being a P. Eng has no real meaning in this industry, the companies won't pay for it. And it's pretty expensive. And like I said, it gives me no more authoritaw. So there's no point for me.

Originally posted by Cracker
I just wrote my Law and Ethics test last month and should have my work experience completed in the next six months. I'm looking forward to getting it. May not get me more money at my current job, but it will for the next.

It will make my life a little easier too, I work in a manufacturing plant and do machine mods and new start-ups and often have to have one of my colleagues with a P.Eng (Canadian Version) do the pre-start safety inspection with me.

Plus my Co. has paid for everything thus far and will pay for the annual fees too. In my eyes, can't go wrong gettting more letters behing your name.

Plus I'll be a notary and can sign off on passport pictures and the like.

Cheers,
G