Quantcast

question for handymen?women

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
my aunt gave me a good amount of scrap squares of marble, about 4x4x.75". i'm wondering it it'd be possible to make a cutting board out of them. my main concern is how i would bond them together. i went to a crafts store today and found some picture frames that could serve as a wooden border (about an inch wide), but still have the problem of bonding agent. would it be possible to grout it, then cover it in some sort of sealant? i don't have access to any woodworking tools except a hand saw, a drill, a chisel, and a hammer.

any ideas, or is it even possible?

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
For a Scout project we made serving platters out of some very nice tile pieces, you could use the same technique for the marble bits.

Made a woode frame with a bottom, deep enough sides to lay the tiles flush, large enough to hold the pieces you want with a bit of grout in between. You might possibly be able to make it tight enough so that you don't need grout, but then you run into issues of juices leaking into cracks and swelling wood. Grout and a sealant would be the best, but I don't know much about bonding marble.

I still have that serving dish, it looks quite nice(stained the wood) and is in perfect condition.

The Ito

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
If the bottom of the Marble is a rough surface (or basically not marble) you can use tile cement to hold it all together. then grout as normal and I guess a sealant wouldnt hurt either. If the bottom is smooth marble than I'm not too sure what you could use. You can check out your local Hardware store and ask. another option is to use the picture frame or another wooden frame and put a "lip" on it. this way it holds the tiles together and down. then you just need to find a way to hold it together in the middle

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave

No not really but i was just reminiscing about getting this stuff on my hands when i was a kid and peeling it off like it was second skin after it dried.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
Yossarian said:
You do not want to use marble to make a cutting board. It will ruin your blades.

With that said, marble, especially one large piece, will make for a nice pastry board.
no kidding on the knives

marble makes good cheese boards. oh, and not too bad as coasters either. i discovered some 3x3 limestone tiles that are perfect coasters- suck up moisture nicely.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
oh... and if your marble scrapes are small like you say, you will have to grout, and that means that if you are going to put food on it, you have to seal the grout or you will get bits of sand in your Brie!!!! :drool:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
alrighty, cutting board is out.

the coaster idea has gone through my head. my dad has some coasters made of marble that i really like. i think that idea might work. i'll just have to come up with some sort of border to put on the outer edges. i have a couple larger pieces, as well as the small ones. in all, i'd guess it's about 2' x 2' in all.

i just want to use this stuff because i love marble, and i have nothing too fancy in my kitchen (ie lots of plastic). plus, my girlfriend and i are going to be moving into our own apartment, so i don't have to worry about someone else screwing it up.