Quantcast

Question for hardtail XC riders?

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Just recently started riding my XC bike again, and after about an hour or so of trail riding my lower back starts to really ache. Is there something I may have set up wrong? Maybe just seat height, stem length or rise, or maybe Im just getting old and the VP free has spoiled me with its 8 1/2 inches of rear travel? Its an 18 inch frame wich I know is the right size. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I just hate having to stop mid ride to stretch my back out.:disgust:

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
It could be due to a more aggressive position putting more strain on your back and your core muscles may be lacking strength.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
1) Pushing too big a gear especially on short steep climbs -- I can usually alleviate it by backing off for a minute or two.

2) Brutal rocky trails -- 5" fixed that right up.

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
I used to ride my bikes set up super aggressive. Long flat stems, flat bars and really stretched out. Then I started changing the stuff I was riding and rode my set-up way more upright. Last few years have gotten back into more pure-xc stuff so back to much more stretched out body position. It made my back ache like crazy for a few months until my body got used to it. I concentrated on keeping really relaxed when climbing, breathing deeply and trying to alternate sitting and standing on climbs. After a while, the aching went away and now my fr/trail bike feels WAY too upright.

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Thanks for the input fellas. By the sounds of it I just gotta keep pounden and work on my core strength. So Im off for a couple more loops! :happydance:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My back always hurts when I ride my hardtail. I spend more time out of the saddle and when I do I tend to push a bigger gear putting more stress on my back. It has helped me to just focus on spinning in a lower gear.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Hover off that seat.
I have a sore disk after riding as hard as i possibly could after an XC ride on my hardtail. I was hammering behind a Blur4x on some rough XC trails.
I spiked by back/spine somehow & hasn't been right ever since. 6 months now.