Quantcast

Question for Japan Monkeys, NBR

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I haven't got a clue mate. My wife didn't know either but I'll ask around for ya. I think Shirley's idea was the closest.;)

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Never saw one any of the times that I was there.

My guess would be a humidifier. Looks like you can't get the water out easily, so it is probably designed to disperse through the air?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
johnbryanpeters said:
Thanks! I was thinking maybe sake warmer?

Octopus used for sashimi is cooked.
I was thinking the same thing but don't the Japanese prefer to get hammered in more permanent social type settings where a portable unit wouldn't make much sense?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
johnbryanpeters said:
Thanks! I was thinking maybe sake warmer?

That would have been my first guess. I posted your pic on another web-site and a guy who deals in Japanese antiques reckoned it was a sake warmer. I'll show it to a few oldies and see what they reckon.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Westy said:
I was thinking the same thing but don't the Japanese prefer to get hammered in more permanent social type settings where a portable unit wouldn't make much sense?
Probably would have sat on a table in your house I reckon. At least until microwaves were invented that is.

From a woman in Japan:
...it's a cooker/water heater. The top left opening will accommodate a pot, presumably the kind with a rim, and the left side is for water. The hot water is to be ladeled out, not poured. The handle makes it portable, so perhaps it's for use at a tea stand or... on a Yakata Bune where food and drinks were prepared. Yakatabune are tourist boats...

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
Well, it's definitely a heating pot made for outdoor use. The charcoal chamber is so you don't have to build a campfire to use it. Inside there is a tube running from the liquid chamber, through the heating chamber, so yourdrink heats as it's poured. It is NOT a teapot. It is for heating the waterto pour into the teapot. It's basically for use by farmers so they don't have to go in for lunch, or for picnickers. Also, it's not something used today, it was replaced by the thermos.

Bullitrider said:
Well, it's definitely a heating pot made for outdoor use. The charcoal chamber is so you don't have to build a campfire to use it. Inside there is a tube running from the liquid chamber, through the heating chamber, so yourdrink heats as it's poured. It is NOT a teapot. It is for heating the waterto pour into the teapot. It's basically for use by farmers so they don't have to go in for lunch, or for picnickers. Also, it's not something used today, it was replaced by the thermos.
No tube. There's just a firepot in the tank.