Quantcast

Question for music makers and consumers

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Anyone out there using download-codes from services like cdbaby, dropcard, or Bandcamp? If so, how did/does it work for you? Is there an actual buying and selling of these cards and codes in the real world, or are they just toss-away promotions items?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
no idea.

i like my music in 5", 7", 10" or 12" formats.
:stupid:

This morning a friend of my brother finally released his debut solo album, but in download only format for now (bandcamp). First time I've ever bought music in online/electronic fashion.

I'll buy it again when he finally actually presses the CD.

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
the situation is tough for bands tight on cash. i'm flush as a toilet, but not willing to finance everything. pressing CDs isn't cheap. a run of 300 is almost the same cost as a run of 500. price-point starts looking better at 1,000. trouble is, we don't have a fan base to support 1,000 yet, and i'm not up for the task of handling the distribution of product, and the rest of the band hasn't voiced an interest in it. our licensing deal with the current label has worked well and i'd do it again. we didn't come out of pocket for production costs and we got decent distribution. however, we want to have some merch at shows, and we are considering releasing a single/ep soon. download codes make sense in that they aren't cost prohibitive and can be done in batches as small as 100. trouble is, it seems nobody wants/uses them, even as giveaway items.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Check out Fetch App - http://www.fetchapp.com/ We use it for distribution of software downloads and it works pretty well.

An order goes into their system - there are multiple ways for this to happen - and an email is sent to the customer's address. The email has a link where they can download their files. If you want, the links can be set to expire after a certain period of time, or after a set number of downloads.

You could have a laptop set up at shows where someone can input orders for you. Or you could allow people to order there from a cart on your website.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
New bands need exposure more than money - distribute for free until you make it. :)
agreed. that is why i thought the download codes would be nifty - low overhead, smaller quantity minimum order, easier to carry and hand out (vs CDs). problem is, i've heard questionable results and "meh" replies when i ask people about download codes/cards. my friend runs a CD/DVD pressing company and he offered codes for a while. he claimed one guy ordered 5,000 codes and only had a dozen redemptions.

to me, it is a good idea, in theory. however, real-world results are untested, but appear to indicate failure on the horizon. hell, for $0.59 per unit & 100 unit minimum, i might just drop $60 to test the idea. what's the worst that could happen?