Quantcast

Question for other longterm Mavic users..

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Have any of you successfully removed the pieces of metal that always break off inside the rim wall (from inside the weld) and rattle around inside? (mainly on D521/EX721 & D321/EX729s)

if so, how? (I can see them but they're bigger than the inner eyelet hole)

or does anyone have a tip to stop the annoying noise when the wheel is spun?

Last edited:

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
A good way to stop the noise is to put a bit of stans or something like that inside the rim. It will catch the loose piece of metal.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
The thing making noise is an insert/plug at the seam of the rim where its pinned then welded. The plug loosens and tik-tak's back and forth.

Back in my rim brake days, my 517's would drive me bananas with the tik-tak!!

I havent had Mavic's in a while, and no others seem to exhibit this quirk!

Nov 11, 2007
norcal
Seems to happen quite often with Mavics, especially if they take an impact at the seam. Just silicone that sucker in there like Supafly said. Use a toothpick or something pokey to help pack the silicon in from each side through the spoke holes!

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
As others have mentioned, some sort of glue will do it. It is an alignment lug to hold the ends of the rim in alignment durring welding.

Now, if you look in the rim bed (inside) you will see two dimples or indents (one on eithers side of the weld) that are pressed/punched in the rim bed to......hold that plug in place and keep the rim all aligned pre-weld.

If you simply take a sharp punch, and deepen the dimple that is already there...the noise will go away.