Quantcast

Question for pregnant / previously pregnant MH's

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Hi,

My wife is around 14 weeks pregnant. Her belly is just beginning to pop out and her bike shorts are starting to get pretty uncomfortable. I was wondering if any of you Mudhunnies might have any recommendations regarding riding shorts for pregnant women?

Thanks a bunch.

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
You might also want to post something over in the MTBR.com women's lounge, there are a bunch of women over there that were still riding late into their pregnancies.

SuperKat

Monkey
Jul 3, 2005
New York
Geez, really? What kind of riding are they (were they) doing?
Can I still ride Diablo if I get pregnant? What a sight that would be....

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I'd second the search of the mtbr women's lounge, pregnancy has been discussed very thoroughly over there a lot. There are many gals on that board who rode successfully almost to delivery. As for what kind of riding, easy trail riding at the end. Mother nature ensures you don't do anything crazy just by the way you feel when you are carrying.

for maternity shorts, I'd go with lycra, sweats... anything stretchy. If you are handy you could insert a maternity panel from the notions counter into some regular shorts but why bother. I'm trying to recall what I wore- I rode until my knees hit my belly( 7 months or so? )but that was 17 years ago.

gg

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I was just pregnant last season and I, luckily, didn't really get a belly until I was 6 1/2-7 months. I was able to just buy lycra shorts a size bigger and they were great. If it gets uncomfortable, try rolling down the waist under her belly? I didn't want to shell out the $65 and then not be able to really use them too! Also, if you know anyone who is able to sew relatively well, they could insert a maternity panel in some regular lycra shorts with ease.

SuperKat...I don't know about Diablo, but I rode our techy XC trails until I was almost 7 months pregnant (I believe Halloween was my last off-road ride there) and then I stuck to easier XC loops and road until almost 8 months (Thanksgiving time) then it was cold and I was afraid to get sick so I stuck to the rollers for a few weeks and then the belly was growing so I hit the stationary bike.

I definitely got some interesting looks and comments from others riding around, but I felt good and I have a very healthy and happy 5 1/2 month old daughter now too!!!
If she has any questions, definitely feel free to PM me and I will try to help her out.